Register to reply

Perfectly elastic collision

by bearhug
Tags: collision, elastic, perfectly
Share this thread:
bearhug
Oct9-06, 09:08 AM
P: 79
2 blocks are free to slide along the frictionless wooden track. The block of mass m1=5.00 kg is released from A, while the block of mass m2= 10.0 kg initially sits @bottom of ramp. The blocks collide @ position Bin a perfectly elastic collision. To what height does m1 rise after collision?

Originally I thought of using Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf where U=mgh
so 1/2m1vi^2 1/2m2vi^2 + (mgh)i = 1/2m1vf^2 1/2m2vf^2+ (mgh)f
However I'm having a hard time figuring this out because I don't know what the velocities of either block is after collision. I do know that the initial of block 2 is 0 m/s. Can someone help me set this problem up? Any help is appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Doc Al
Oct9-06, 09:12 AM
Mentor
P: 41,316
What else is conserved in every collision?
bearhug
Oct9-06, 11:52 AM
In every collision... momentum

bearhug
Oct9-06, 11:54 AM
Perfectly elastic collision

In elastic collisios kinetic energy
Doc Al
Oct9-06, 11:58 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by bearhug
In every collision... momentum
Right. You have to use that fact to solve this problem. (You just used conservation of energy--but that's not enough.)
bearhug
Oct9-06, 03:38 PM
Does gravitational potential energy have anything to do with this problem?
bearhug
Oct9-06, 05:53 PM
OK so I set up the problem beginning with (m1v1 + m2v2)i = (m1v1 + m2v2)f . Should I start this problem with block 1 m=5.0 kg w/ initial velocity after collision or before. If it's before than initial would be 0 but other wise it wouldn't. Since the question asks for the height after collision I was wondering if this needs to be considered in terms of what's initial and what's final. Any feedback please.
Doc Al
Oct10-06, 11:48 AM
Mentor
Assuming I understand the problem correctly, here's how to approach it. First figure out the speed of block 1 just before it collides with block 2. Then analyze the collision to determine the speed of block 1 just after the collision. (That involves conservation of momentum and energy.) Once you know the speed of block 1 after the collision, figure out how high it goes.

Register to reply