University level books on Optics and thermodynamics

by Amith2006
Tags: books, optics, thermodynamics, university
Amith2006
Nov27-06, 01:35 PM
P: 424
I am into the final year of undergraduation. I am looking for an advanced book on Optics which deals with mathematical approach to polarisation. Today I went to a book shop where I came across a book on 'Fundamentals of optics' by Jenkins & White. Though it covered most of the topics but didn't contain what I wanted. Can somebody please suggest such a book which is available in the market? I am also looking for an advanced book on Thermodynamics for undergraduates. I came across a book on Principles of Thermodynamics by Zemansky and Hall. I found it hard to understand. Can u please suggest a book which is advanced at the same time bit easy to understand?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
physics girl phd
Nov27-06, 01:53 PM
P: 938
The classic text on optics would have to be, I'd think, Principles of Optics by Max Born and Emil Wolf. I'd consider it my stand-by text.
Dr Transport
Nov27-06, 05:11 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,458
Born and Wolf is an advanced text, it has polarization but without alot of mathematical preparation difficult to read. I found a bunch of texts doing a search on Barnes & Noble using the keywords "polarization optics" (my quotes). I have looked at a couple of these in the past in my work and can't tell you which is better than any other.

As for thermodynamics, I'd start with Reif in the Berkley series as a start, then go on to Zemansky or Reif in the McGraw-Hill series.

Amith2006
Dec1-06, 10:55 AM
P: 424

University level books on Optics and thermodynamics

Does anyone have a second opinion?
Mororvia
Dec1-06, 10:38 PM
P: 262
Quote Quote by Amith2006 View Post
Though it covered most of the topics but didn't contain what I wanted.
What is it that you are looking for?

Register to reply