Solving the Group O(n) Generator Problem

The idea is to replace each J_{ij} with some other expression and see if the result works out. It's a little like solving a puzzle. Originally posted by NateTG [ab] is shorthand for the commutator of a and b. The RHS of that equation is a general expression for the commutator. If you multiply ab by it, you get ba so it commutes them. The idea is to replace each J_{ij} with some other expression and see if the result works out. It's a little like solving a puzzle. I don't know if you are bored or something. But if you are just trying to make conversation and don't want to help me
Norman
Problem:
a) To determine the number of generators needed for the group O(n) we write a rotation matrix as:
[tex] R=e^{-i\theta J} [/tex]
where [itex] J [/itex] is an n x n matrix, Hermitian and imaginary, and therefore anti-symmetric. The number of indepedent parameters [itex] \theta [/itex] (and hence the number of generators) is the number of independent matrices. This number can be found by counting the number of parameters required to make up any n x n antisymmetric matrix. This is n(n-1)/2- WHY?
b)Show for any n:
[tex] [J_{ij},J_{kl}]=\plusminus (\delta_{ij}J_{il}-\delta_{ik}J_{jl}-\delta_{jl}J_{ik}+\delta_{il}J_{ik}) [/tex]

where [itex] J_{ij} [/itex] are two index objects with matrix elements:

[tex] (J_{ij})_{kl} = -i(\delta_{ik}\delta_{jl} - \delta_{il}\delta_{jk}) [/tex]

and
[tex] [J_{ij},J_{kl}] [/tex]
is the commutator

Ok...
So part a):
I am a little confused. I know that the matrix must be imaginary and hermitian, but I don't think that is enough to prove that only n(n-1)/2 parameters are required to make a n x n antisymmetric matrix. In fact I am not even sure what determines whether the parameters are independent. Is a complex number and its conjugate independent? If not, then I think I understand. But if not I am lost.

part b) No clue.

I have never taken a group theory class and this was thrown into a Quantum Mechanics homework set so I am pretty lost. Any help would really be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, a complex number, a+ bi, and its conjugate, a- bi, are definitely NOT independent! Especially if we are given that the numbers are all imaginary so it is really bi and -bi. Clearly an imaginary, Hermitian matrix is anti-symmetric. Now, calculate how many "choices" you could make for the values in an anti-symmetric matrix: aij= -aji.

In particular, all the entries on the main diagonal (i= j) must be 0: aii= -aii means aii= 0 so we cannot make any choices for them. There are, of course, exactly n diagonal elements in an n by n matrix, leaving n2-n. If we "choose" anyone of those, say aij then its "opposite", aji is fixed. That is, we can "choose" exactly half of the numbers off the main diagonal (choose all those above the main diagonal for example and all those below are automatically fixed as their negatives). We can "choose" (n2-n)/2= n(n-1)/2 values.

b) The "commutator"is , by definition, given by
[tex] [J_{ij},J_{kl}]= J_{ij}J_{kl}-J{kl}J{ij} [/tex]
Since you are told that [tex] (J_{ij})_{kl} = -i(\delta_{ik}\delta_{jl} - \delta_{il}\delta_{jk}) [/tex], go ahead a put those into that formula and see what you get!

HallsofIvy,

First of all, thankyou so much for responding. I am really not comfortable with Group Theory yet and it is a great relief that my intuition about part a) was correct.
For part b) I am a little confused still. I only know the [itex] kl [/itex] components of the matrix. How do I write [itex] J_{ij} [/itex] and [itex] J_{kl} [/itex] in a form in which I can just plug them into the commutator?
Thanks again for the help.
Norm

Help... still stuck.

Originally posted by Norman
Problem:
a) To determine the number of generators needed for the group O(n) we write a rotation matrix as:
[tex] R=e^{-i\theta J} [/tex]
where [itex] J [/itex] is an n x n matrix, Hermitian and imaginary, and therefore anti-symmetric. The number of indepedent parameters [itex] \theta [/itex] (and hence the number of generators) is the number of independent matrices. This number can be found by counting the number of parameters required to make up any n x n antisymmetric matrix. This is n(n-1)/2- WHY?
b)Show for any n:
[tex] [J_{ij},J_{kl}]=i(\delta_{ij}J_{il}-\delta_{ik}J_{jl}-\delta_{jl}J_{ik}+\delta_{il}J_{ik}) [/tex]

where [itex] J_{ij} [/itex] are two index objects with matrix elements:

[tex] (J_{ij})_{kl} = -i(\delta_{ik}\delta_{jl} - \delta_{il}\delta_{jk}) [/tex]

Does anyone think that this should actually be:
[tex] [J_{ij},J_{kl}]= -i (\delta_{jk}J_{il}-\delta_{ik}J_{jl}-\delta_{jl}J_{ik}+\delta_{il}J_{ik}) [/tex]
??
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Norman
Does anyone think that this should actually be:
[tex] [J_{ij},J_{kl}]= -i (\delta_{jk}J_{il}-\delta_{ik}J_{jl}-\delta_{jl}J_{ik}+\delta_{il}J_{ik}) [/tex]
??
Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

That's certainly looks better since it's symetric. I'm not quite following the notation though, so I can't give you a stronger answer.

Originally posted by NateTG
That's certainly looks better since it's symetric. I'm not quite following the notation though, so I can't give you a stronger answer.

The way I was told to think about it is that:
is the [itex] kl^{th} [/itex] component of the matrix [itex] J_{ij} [/itex] so all you do is sum over k and l for matrix multiplication. But I have no clue if that is correct or not and if I am understanding this at all. It is very frustrating.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers,
Norman

OK, that makes a little bit more sense.

From group theory we have that
[tex][ab]=b^{-1}a^{-1}ba[/tex]

You may be able to grind it out from there by figuring out what the inverse of [tex]J_{il}[/tex] looks like.

Originally posted by NateTG

is:
the commutator or just multiplication?
Thanks,
Norman

[tex][ab][/tex] is shorthand for the commutator of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex]. The RHS of that equation is a general expression for the commutator. If you multiply [tex]ab[/tex] by it, you get [tex]ba[/tex] so it commutes them.

1. What is the Group O(n) Generator Problem?

The Group O(n) Generator Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a set of generators for a group of order n. In simpler terms, it is about finding a set of elements that can generate all the other elements in a group of a specific size.

2. Why is solving the Group O(n) Generator Problem important?

Solving the Group O(n) Generator Problem is important because it has many applications in various fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also helps in understanding the structure of a group and its subgroups.

3. What is the complexity of solving the Group O(n) Generator Problem?

The complexity of solving the Group O(n) Generator Problem depends on the size of the group. In general, it is considered a difficult problem and there is no known efficient algorithm to solve it for all values of n.

4. Can the Group O(n) Generator Problem be solved for all values of n?

No, the Group O(n) Generator Problem cannot be solved for all values of n. As the size of the group increases, the problem becomes increasingly difficult and there is no known efficient algorithm that can solve it for all values of n. However, for certain specific values of n, there are known solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Group O(n) Generator Problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the Group O(n) Generator Problem. One example is in cryptography, where it is used to generate secure keys for encryption and decryption. It is also used in error-correcting codes and in the design of efficient algorithms for various computational problems.