Analyzing Electrical Circuits: True and False Statements

• Thread starter bob123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the total power dissipated in circuit C is not twice the total power dissipated in circuit B. The current through a resistor is the same in circuits A and C. The voltage across a single resistor in circuit C is twice the voltage across a single resistor in circuit B. The power dissipated in circuit A is twice the power dissipated in circuit B. The current through a resistor is not the same in circuits A and B.
bob123
So I have the following homework question about electical circuits. There's three different circuits shown: Circuit A is just a battery hooked up to a single resistor. Circuit B is a battery hooked to two resistors in series. Circuit C is a battery hooked to two parallel resistors. All the circuits are closed and all the batteries and resitors are identical. There's a list of five statements and we have to say which are true and which are false.

1. The total power dissipated in circuit C is twice the total power dissipated in circuit B.
2. The current through a resistor is the same in circuits A and C.
3. The voltage across a single resistor in circuit C is twice the voltage across a single resistor in circuit B.
4. The power dissipated in circuit A is twice the power dissipated in circuit B.
5. The current through a resistor is the same in circuits A and B.

I worked through this problem assuming the voltage supplied was 10 V, and the resistance of each resistor was 2 ohms. This is what I got (correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, and I'm sure I am):

1. Total power dissipated in C is 100 W (10 V total * 10 A total), total power dissipated in B is 25 W (10 V total * 2.5 A total). So 1 is false. I'm not sure if I'm doing the total power dissipated for Circuit B right.

2. The current through circuit A is 10 V / 2 ohms = 5 A. In Circuit C, the current through each resistor is 10 V / 2 ohms = 5 A. True.

3. The voltage across a single resitor in C is 10 V (since voltage remains the same across a parallel circuit, right?). The voltage across a single resistor in B is 5 V (2.5 A * 2 ohms). True.

4. Power dissipated in A is 50 W (10 V * 5 A). Again, I'm not sure if I'm figuring this right, but the total power dissipated in B is 25 W (10 V total * 2.5 A total). True.

5. Current through the resistor in circuit A is 5 A (10 V / 2 ohms). Current through a resistor in circuit B is 2.5 A (10 V / 4 ohms). False.

I tried this answer and the computer said it was wrong. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just an error with the online assignment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're comfortable with algebra, there's no reason to substitute values in for voltage and resistance. That said:

1. you are correct
2. correct again
3. correct again
4. correct again
5. correct again

So I think you've got them all right. So, either we both messed up or the program is wrong. Let us know if you need anything clarified.

I can't stand algebra, so I just used real numbers. I e-mailed the prof about it, unfortunately he's out of town til Tuesday. That's why I asked about it here. Thanks for double checking these.

The only problem I see is number 5 which can be argued as true. The question as you have it stated is "The current through a resistor is the same in circuits A and B." The key part of the question is "through a resistor." This may mean that only one resistor in B (2 ohms) is used, not the equivalent resistance (2ohms + 2ohms). We find 10V/2ohms = 5 amps which equals the current in A.

Of course this is only speculation, but worth a try. Hope it helps.

The only problem I see is number 5 which can be argued as true. The question as you have it stated is "The current through a resistor is the same in circuits A and B." The key part of the question is "through a resistor." This may mean that only one resistor in B (2 ohms) is used, not the equivalent resistance (2ohms + 2ohms). We find 10V/2ohms = 5 amps which equals the current in A.

Of course this is only speculation, but worth a try. Hope it helps.

I got:

1. F
2. T
3. T
4. T
5. F

1. What is the purpose of analyzing electrical circuits?

The purpose of analyzing electrical circuits is to understand how electricity flows through a circuit and to determine the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. This information is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic devices.

2. How do you identify true and false statements in electrical circuits?

To identify true and false statements in electrical circuits, you must first have a clear understanding of the basic principles of electricity and circuit analysis. Then, you can use your knowledge to analyze the given statements and determine if they align with the laws of electricity and the characteristics of the specific circuit being analyzed.

3. What are some common false statements about electrical circuits?

Some common false statements about electrical circuits include: "Current flows from positive to negative," "Voltage and current are the same thing," and "Adding resistors in parallel increases the total resistance of a circuit." These statements are false because current actually flows from negative to positive, voltage and current are two distinct quantities, and adding resistors in parallel decreases the total resistance of a circuit.

4. How do you verify the accuracy of statements about electrical circuits?

To verify the accuracy of statements about electrical circuits, you can use circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to calculate the expected values of voltage, current, and resistance in a given circuit. Then, you can compare these values to the ones stated in the statements to determine if they are true or false.

5. Can you analyze complex circuits using true and false statements?

Yes, complex circuits can be analyzed using true and false statements. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of circuit analysis principles and to break down the circuit into smaller, simpler parts to accurately evaluate the given statements. It may also be helpful to use circuit simulation software to verify the results of the analysis.