How Do You Calculate the Couple in a Force-Couple System at Point O?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equivalent force-couple system at point O by replacing three forces with a resultant force and a couple. The first step is to find the resultant of the three forces, and then to find the moment caused by that resultant force at point O. This moment is then replaced with an equivalent couple. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to find the moment and the correct components of the resultant force at the origin.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

I've attached an image. The question states:

Replace the three forces shown, with an equivalent force-couple system at point O(origin).

I've got a little ways, but I am stuck at the couple. I don't know how to use the distance in the couple. Need to know what distance to use, and from where.

Homework Equations

R = Fx + Fy

C = Mo = ra/o x Fa + rb/o x Fb + rc/o x Fc(is this correct, or do I use x and y?)---this is the part where I'm stuck.

magnitude C = sqrt(Cx^2 + Cy^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx = 200cos60 + 300cos45 + 250cos30 = 528.6 i

Fy = 200sin60 + 300sin45 - 250sin30 = 260.3 j

R = 528.6 i + 260.3 j

C = Mo = ?

Am I correct up to this point too?

View attachment sample exam1.bmp

Physics news on Phys.org
Bradracer18 said:

Homework Statement

I've attached an image. The question states:

Replace the three forces shown, with an equivalent force-couple system at point O(origin).

I've got a little ways, but I am stuck at the couple. I don't know how to use the distance in the couple. Need to know what distance to use, and from where.

Formally, you should first find the resultant of the three forces. To find the couple, you first have to find the moment caused by the resultant force at point O, and then replace that moment with an equivalent couple.

Ok, I did find the resultant(R).

And, to find the couple, don't I just find the moment(at the origin)?

Here goes...but this is where I get confused.

528.6(9) + 260.3(30)...i have no clue, I know this isn't right.

Any way you could show me like part of how to do it? So I get the concept?

Bradracer18 said:
Ok, I did find the resultant(R).

And, to find the couple, don't I just find the moment(at the origin)?

Here goes...but this is where I get confused.

528.6(9) + 260.3(30)...i have no clue, I know this isn't right.

Any way you could show me like part of how to do it? So I get the concept?
you've got the correct components of the resultant force at the origin. But now you must sum moments of each horizontal component of each force about the origin, and sum moments of each vertical component of each force about the origin, and add them together to get the couple about the origin. Watch your plus and minus signs (clockwise vs. counterclockwise).

1. What is the concept of "Replace forces with couple" in physics?

"Replace forces with couple" is a principle in physics that states that a system of forces acting on a rigid body can be replaced by an equivalent moment, or couple, acting at any point on the body. This means that a single force can be replaced by two equal and opposite forces, creating a rotational effect without any translational effect.

2. How does "Replace forces with couple" differ from using a single force?

Replacing forces with a couple allows for a rotational effect without any translational effect, while a single force would cause both rotational and translational motion. Additionally, the magnitude and direction of the couple can vary, while a single force has a fixed magnitude and direction.

3. What is the significance of "Replace forces with couple" in engineering?

In engineering, "Replace forces with couple" is an important concept in understanding and designing structures and machines. By replacing forces with a couple, engineers can simplify the analysis of complex systems and predict how they will behave under different loads.

4. How is "Replace forces with couple" applied in real-life situations?

This principle is applied in many real-life situations, such as in the design of bridges, cranes, and other structures. By using a system of forces and couples, engineers can determine the stability and strength of these structures and ensure they can withstand different loads and forces.

5. Can "Replace forces with couple" be applied to non-rigid bodies?

This principle is typically applied to rigid bodies, as they have a fixed shape and size. However, it can also be applied to non-rigid bodies, such as deformable structures, by considering the changes in the body's shape and size under different loads and forces.