Determining the forces in three cables.

In summary, the conversation involved finding the components of forces and using them to solve for the value of Fa. The final answer should be 68.4kN, but the student initially got 112.36N. The expert suggests that the error may be in the calculation and asks for a method outline. The student eventually figures out the correct answer.
cavalieregi

Homework Statement

ozIHXTR.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I first found the angles each cable made with the pillar.
2. With these angles I found the components of the forces in the x and y direction.
3. So ∑Fx and ∑Fy were found.
4. Then using these values I equated that
## F = \sqrt(F_x ^2 + F_y ^2) ##
5. The from here I subbed Fb and Fc = Fa and that F = 200kN Then rearranging to get Fa I got Fa = 112.36N however it should be 68.4kN.

I am unsure where I have gone wrong. Note vectors are not to be used to solve problem i.e using i, j and k components.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 11.29.58 am.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 11.29.58 am.png
    98 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks good. You must be making an error somewhere in the calculation. I get 68.2 kN for the answer.

So could you give me a rough outline of your method.

Don't worry I worked it out.

What is the purpose of determining the forces in three cables?

Determining the forces in three cables is important for understanding the structural stability and load-bearing capacity of a system. It allows engineers to design and construct safe and efficient structures.

What factors affect the forces in three cables?

The forces in three cables are affected by the weight of the object or structure being supported, the angle and length of the cables, and the external forces acting on the system such as wind or gravity.

How do you calculate the forces in three cables?

The forces in three cables can be calculated using the principles of statics and the equations of equilibrium. This involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on the system and solving for the unknown forces in each cable.

What are some common methods for determining the forces in three cables?

Some common methods for determining the forces in three cables include graphical methods such as the method of joints and method of sections, as well as analytical methods such as the method of joints and method of sections, as well as analytical methods such as the method of joints and method of sections, as well as analytical methods such as the method of joints and method of sections, as well as numerical methods like finite element analysis.

Why is it important to consider the forces in three cables in structural design?

Considering the forces in three cables is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of structures. If the forces in the cables are not properly determined, it can lead to structural failure and pose a risk to human life. Additionally, understanding the forces in the cables allows for more efficient and cost-effective design solutions.