What is the Modulus of Rupture formula and how is it derived?

In summary, the Modulus of Rupture for a beam loaded at midspan in a 3 point test is determined by the maximum bending moment, which is located at the midpoint of the beam and is equal to the sum of the forces acting on the beam (P1 and P2).
mindstorm87

Homework Statement

Prove the formula of modulus of rupture using the third point loading test.
R = Pl/bd^2 P: load at fracture
l: length
b: width
d: depth

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start. PLease help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of modulus of rupture - hint, it's a stress at some point in the beam.

Set up the shear force and bending moment diagram for the loading in a 3-point test, and find the stress from the usual beam equations.

The Modulus of Rupture formula can be derrived simply by using basic statics and strength of material equations.

Let's start with a beam of length L loaded at midspan with a force F and is simply supported at the 2 ends of the beam. The reaction forces are P1 and P2. The cross section of the beam is rectangle and has a width of b (dimension into the paper), and a depth (height or thickness of the cross section) of d. This loading configuration represents a simple 3 point bending test.

The beam will fail (rupture) at the point of maximum stress where it exceeds the ultimate strength of the material. In the 3 point bending test, the beam will fail at the point of maximum bending stress (maximum outer fiber stress) that exceeds the ultimate material strength. Maximum bending stress in the beam is determined by the famous formula of Mc/I, where M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outer fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam cross section.

It should be clear that the maximum bending moment is located at the midpoint of the beam (for a beam loaded at midspan) which can be determined by P1 x L/2 or P2 x L/2, where L/2 is the length from the support to the beam midspan. P1 = P2 = F/2 for a midspan loaded beam. For a symmetric cross section such as a rectangle, c is just d/2 (the distance from the center of the cross section to the outer most fiber). The moment of inertia I for a rectangle cross section is bd^3/12.

Therefore, putting everything together: Mc/I = (P1 x L/2) x (d/2) / (bd^3/12) = (F/2 x L/2) x (d/2) / (bd^3/12) which simplifies to: 3FL/(2bd^2).

1. What is the modulus of rupture formula?

The modulus of rupture formula, also known as flexural strength formula, is a mathematical equation used to calculate the maximum stress that a material can withstand before breaking under a bending load. It is commonly used to measure the strength of brittle materials such as ceramics, concrete, and wood.

2. How is the modulus of rupture formula calculated?

The modulus of rupture formula is calculated by dividing the maximum bending moment (M) by the moment of inertia (I) of the cross-sectional area of the material. The resulting value is then multiplied by the distance between the outermost fibers (c) of the material to obtain the modulus of rupture (MR).

3. What are the units of measurement for the modulus of rupture formula?

The units of measurement for the modulus of rupture formula depend on the units used for the maximum bending moment (M) and moment of inertia (I). Typically, M is measured in Newton-meters (N·m) and I is measured in meters to the fourth power (m^4), resulting in MR being measured in Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa).

4. How is the modulus of rupture used in material testing?

The modulus of rupture is used in material testing to determine the strength and durability of a material under bending stress. It is commonly used in the construction industry to ensure that materials can withstand the forces they will be subjected to in real-world applications. It is also used in quality control and research and development to compare the strength of different materials.

5. Are there any limitations to the modulus of rupture formula?

Yes, there are some limitations to the modulus of rupture formula. It assumes that the material is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that it has the same properties in all directions. This may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the formula does not take into account the effects of temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors, which can also affect the strength of a material.