Register to reply

Physics and pinball machines

by Shaheemie
Tags: machines, physics, pinball
Share this thread:
Shaheemie
May21-07, 09:26 PM
P: 3
Do any of you know of a good site, or just a general site, where physics is applied to pinball machines? I 'm having trouble finding any, if there are any out there, that is.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
DyslexicHobo
May21-07, 10:06 PM
P: 248
What would you like to know? There is a couple of things about pinball machines related to physics (and by a couple of things I mean, well... everything).
Shaheemie
May21-07, 11:23 PM
Well, I don't need it in great depth. I'm in an 11th grade Honors Physics class and there is only so much we can cover and understand. Obviously basics is needed. That would be really helpful, thank you. I trust your judgement. If I have any trouble, I'll just yell. :P

DyslexicHobo
May22-07, 07:45 AM
P: 248
Physics and pinball machines

I'm guessing you are in Physics C (Mechanics). You should look into Newton's third law (law of conservation). This can represent how the pinball will bounce off of walls. You can also look at impulse momentum equations [tex]F/delta t = M /delta V[/tex]. This can be applied to when the flipper hits the ball. You can then look at [tex]d = 1/2gt^2[/tex]. This equation can (when applied on a tilted axis, because the ball is not dropping straight down) provide a distance that the ball will travel downwards in a given amount of time, or you can use the equation [tex]v_f^2 = v_o^2 + 2ad[/tex] for the velocity of a ball.

Good luck!
Shaheemie
May22-07, 09:52 AM
That's fantastic. That's just what I needed.
Thank you!

Register to reply