How Does Friction Impact Crate Movement on a Rough Surface?

In summary: So the slope of the graph must increase. The only way that can happen is if the mass decreases as well. That's why the slope increases on B, but not as much as D. So D is the correct answer for the third one.For part C, it is C. There is no acceleration until the static friction is overcome.That is correct--but that doesn't explain why it is C. The reason is that the slope (force/mass) must be 0 until the crate starts to move--and then it increases.Note that we can't see the mass from the graph. But if we could, it would depend on the slope of the line. If the slope is small,
fubag
During an experiment, a crate is pulled along a rough horizontal surface by a constant force F_vec and the magnitude of the acceleration along the x direction, a_x, is measured. View Figure The vector F_vec has a component along the x direction of magnitude F_x. The experiment is repeated several times, with different values of F_x each time.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3708/1011642asf3.th.jpg

Create a plot of the force of static friction, f_s, versus the x component of the pulling force, F_x, for the experiment. Let the point F_min, along the horizontal axis, represent the minimum force required to accelerate the crate. Choose the graph that most accurately depicts the relationship among f_s, F_x, and F_min.

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/3683/1011642csr5.th.jpg

Create a plot of the force of kinetic friction, f_k, versus the x component of the pulling force, F_x, for the experiment. Let the point F_min, along the horizontal axis, represent the minimum force required to accelerate the crate. Choose the graph that most accurately depicts the relationship among f_k, F_x, and F_min.

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/3871/1011642dtb9.th.jpg

After all the trials are completed, a graph of acceleration a_x as a function of force F_x is plotted. Assuming the presence of both static and kinetic friction, which of the following graphs View Figure is most nearly correct?

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3650/1011642eia5.th.jpg

I am too sure about these questions, but so far I have guessed.

For the first one, I am thinking it is D, because the static friction to overcome is needed only for few seconds.

For the second one, I am thinking it is D because force of kinetic is required after a few seconds.

For the third one, I think it is B because the force applied must be equal to or greater than the force of friction for the block to move.

Please comment on my answers, I am not too sure about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force of kinetic friction remains constant, so any graph with it rising can be rejected.
Also, a = F/m which is a straight line with slope 1/m, which should help with the third one.

ok

but still

is my logic here ok?

I mean for Parts A and B...

for C I am assuming it is Graph A now.

For, C it is C. There is no acceleration until the static friction is overcome.
I don't know about the others.

can anyone help me with the first two parts?

im thinking part b is D

Last edited:
and for part A i think it is D but i need more clarification

fubag said:
For the first one, I am thinking it is D, because the static friction to overcome is needed only for few seconds.
Realize that time is not being plotted in these diagrams, just forces. But D is correct because until the crate starts to move, the static friction equals F_x. (Note that the slope equals 1.)

For the second one, I am thinking it is D because force of kinetic is required after a few seconds.
Again, only forces are being plotted, not time. But yes, D is correct. Once the crate starts moving, kinetic friction acts--and the kinetic friction is constant.

For the third one, I think it is B because the force applied must be equal to or greater than the force of friction for the block to move.
Plot B implies that the acceleration is constant. That can't be true: Until F_x exceeds some value, you won't even be able to move the crate (acceleration = 0); Once it starts moving, as F_x increases the net force on the crate increases (thus acceleration increases).

1. What is the purpose of a friction experiment?

The purpose of a friction experiment is to investigate the effects of friction on different surfaces or objects. This can help us understand how friction works and its importance in everyday life, such as in transportation or manufacturing.

2. How do you measure friction in an experiment?

Friction can be measured using a device called a friction force sensor, which measures the force required to move an object over a surface. The coefficient of friction, which represents the amount of friction between two surfaces, can also be calculated using the formula force divided by weight.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in an experiment?

The amount of friction in an experiment can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface, the force applied, the weight of the object, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surface.

4. What are some real-world applications of friction experiments?

Friction experiments have many real-world applications, such as studying the efficiency of different types of lubricants, testing the durability of materials, and analyzing the effects of friction on different types of surfaces, such as tires on roads or shoes on floors.

5. How can the results of a friction experiment be used to improve technology?

The results of a friction experiment can be used to improve technology in various ways. For example, by understanding the effects of friction, engineers can design more efficient machines and develop better lubricants to reduce wear and tear. They can also use the data to create better materials that can withstand high levels of friction without breaking down.