Register to reply

A Friction Experiment

by fubag
Tags: experiment, friction
Share this thread:
fubag
Sep27-07, 10:12 PM
P: 105
During an experiment, a crate is pulled along a rough horizontal surface by a constant force F_vec and the magnitude of the acceleration along the x direction, a_x, is measured. View Figure The vector F_vec has a component along the x direction of magnitude F_x. The experiment is repeated several times, with different values of F_x each time.

Create a plot of the force of static friction, f_s, versus the x component of the pulling force, F_x, for the experiment. Let the point F_min, along the horizontal axis, represent the minimum force required to accelerate the crate. Choose the graph that most accurately depicts the relationship among f_s, F_x, and F_min.

Create a plot of the force of kinetic friction, f_k, versus the x component of the pulling force, F_x, for the experiment. Let the point F_min, along the horizontal axis, represent the minimum force required to accelerate the crate. Choose the graph that most accurately depicts the relationship among f_k, F_x, and F_min.

After all the trials are completed, a graph of acceleration a_x as a function of force F_x is plotted. Assuming the presence of both static and kinetic friction, which of the following graphs View Figure is most nearly correct?

I am too sure about these questions, but so far I have guessed.

For the first one, I am thinking it is D, because the static friction to overcome is needed only for few seconds.

For the second one, I am thinking it is D because force of kinetic is required after a few seconds.

For the third one, I think it is B because the force applied must be equal to or greater than the force of friction for the block to move.

Please comment on my answers, I am not too sure about them.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Mentz114
Sep27-07, 10:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,087
The force of kinetic friction remains constant, so any graph with it rising can be rejected.
Also, a = F/m which is a straight line with slope 1/m, which should help with the third one.
fubag
Sep27-07, 10:32 PM
ok

but still

is my logic here ok?

I mean for Parts A and B...

for C I am assuming it is Graph A now.

Mentz114
Sep28-07, 01:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,087
A Friction Experiment

For, C it is C. There is no acceleration until the static friction is overcome.
I don't know about the others.
fubag
Sep28-07, 07:03 PM
can anyone help me with the first two parts?

im thinking part b is D
fubag
Sep28-07, 11:18 PM
and for part A i think it is D but i need more clarification
Doc Al
Sep29-07, 08:02 AM
Mentor
P: 41,323
Quote Quote by fubag View Post
For the first one, I am thinking it is D, because the static friction to overcome is needed only for few seconds.
Realize that time is not being plotted in these diagrams, just forces. But D is correct because until the crate starts to move, the static friction equals F_x. (Note that the slope equals 1.)

For the second one, I am thinking it is D because force of kinetic is required after a few seconds.
Again, only forces are being plotted, not time. But yes, D is correct. Once the crate starts moving, kinetic friction acts--and the kinetic friction is constant.

For the third one, I think it is B because the force applied must be equal to or greater than the force of friction for the block to move.
Plot B implies that the acceleration is constant. That can't be true: Until F_x exceeds some value, you won't even be able to move the crate (acceleration = 0); Once it starts moving, as F_x increases the net force on the crate increases (thus acceleration increases).

Register to reply