Does every Hausdorff space admit a metric?

In summary: Basically, you start with a metric space, and within that space, you can arbitrarily small neighborhoods that are still within the space. So, you can keep taking these neighborhoods and shrinking them until they're so small that they're just points, and then you can add them all up and they'll still be within the original space.
Stevo
^....

Physics news on Phys.org
Every metric space is Hausdorff but not every Hausdorff space is metrizable!

Googling on "Hausdorff" and "metrizable", I found
"Metrizable requires, in addition to Hausdorf, separability and existence of at least one countable locally finite cover. Those three are independent requirements; if you could do without anyone of them you would have a much stronger theorem, and be famous among topologists (nobody else would notice or care)." attributed to a "DickT" on

http://superstringtheory.com/forum/geomboard/messages3/143.html

apparently a "string theory" message board.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was me, and I stand behind it. I should, because I got it straight out of one of my old textbooks!

HallsofIvy said:
Every metric space is Hausdorff but not every Hausdorff space is metrizable!

Googling on "Hausdorff" and "metrizable", I found
"Metrizable requires, in addition to Hausdorf, separability and existence of at least one countable locally finite cover. Those three are independent requirements; if you could do without anyone of them you would have a much stronger theorem, and be famous among topologists (nobody else would notice or care)." attributed to a "DickT" on

http://superstringtheory.com/forum/geomboard/messages3/143.html

apparently a "string theory" message board.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to show that every metric space is Hausdorff... I wasn't sure if the converse was true. Thanks for that.

Does anybody have a proof, a link to a proof, or a reference to a proof that metrisation requires Hausdorff, separability, and existence of a countable locally finite cover?

Stevo said:
Does anybody have a proof, a link to a proof, or a reference to a proof that metrisation requires Hausdorff, separability, and existence of a countable locally finite cover?

Try these:-
1) Manifolds at and beyond the limit of metrisability at arXiv:math.GT/9911249
2) http://www.math.auckland.ac.nz/~gauld/research/ (the file is labelled metrisability.pdf)
both by David Gauld at University of Auckland Department of Mathematics.

A mathematical physics prof taught me that paracompactness must also be one of the criteria of metrisability.
Can there really be a proof that doesn't include this criteria?

Paracompactness is a generalization from the countable locally finite cover. If a space is paracompact then every open cover of it has a countable locally finite refinement. So you get a little narrower theorem by specifying the CLF cover specifically, but in many instances, you would use the given paracompactness of the space to prove the CLF cover exists.

The theorem is called Urysohn's theorem. http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/Classes/594-MNN/MNNH/MNNH-3/node20.html is a sketch of the proof.

1. What is a Hausdorff space?

A Hausdorff space is a topological space where every pair of distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods. This means that for any two points in the space, there exist open sets containing each point that do not intersect.

2. What is a metric?

A metric is a function that measures the distance between two points in a space. It assigns a non-negative value to the distance between any two points and satisfies certain properties such as symmetry and the triangle inequality.

3. Does every Hausdorff space admit a metric?

No, not every Hausdorff space admits a metric. There are Hausdorff spaces that are not metrizable, meaning there is no metric that induces the topology on the space. Examples include the long line and the Sorgenfrey line.

4. Are there any benefits to having a metric on a Hausdorff space?

Having a metric on a Hausdorff space allows for more precise distance measurements and can help with studying the convergence of sequences in the space. It also allows for the use of various tools and techniques from metric space theory in the study of the space.

5. How do you prove that a Hausdorff space admits a metric?

In order to prove that a Hausdorff space admits a metric, one must construct a metric that induces the given topology on the space. This can be done by defining a distance function that satisfies the necessary properties, such as the Hausdorff property and compatibility with the open sets in the space.