Electron Designations: 5px, 7py, 6dxy

• Thread starter viper2308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the number of electrons in an atom with the designations 5px, 7py, or 6dxy can be found by understanding the structure of subshells and their respective orbitals. Each orbital can hold up to two electrons, and the 5p subshell can hold up to 6 electrons in its 3 orbitals. Similarly, the 6d subshell can hold up to 10 electrons in its 5 orbitals. Thus, the answer to the question is that 2 electrons can have the designations 5px, 7py, or 6dxy. It is important for students to make an effort in understanding the material and not rely on complete solutions from others.
viper2308

Homework Statement

How many electrons in an atom can have the following designations?
5px
7py
6dxy

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the number of electrons in a 5p designation but the subscript x,y,z is throwing me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
p is a subshell that has 3 different orbitals. They are designated p_x , p_y , and p_z because each one is aligned along a specific axis in space. Each orbital can hold up to two electrons. While 5p subshell can hold up to 6 electrons , 5px / 5py / 5pz orbital can contain 2 electrons at most. The same argument holds when working with different subshells such as s , d , or f. The difference is in the number of orbitals each subshell has. For instance , a d subshell can hold up to 10 electrons in its 5 distinct orbitals. d_xy is one of these orbitals and again can contain 2 electrons at most.

So, 2 electrons can have the designations 5px, 7py , or 6dxy.

Thank you, I wish my teacher would have told me this.

The answer was in your book. Your teacher wanted you to read it and understand it.

Hunt, these are in the rules for homework help:
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Last edited:
Thanks for the notice, chemisttree.

Wont happen again

I'm just jealous that someone like you wasn't around when I was taking chemistry...

1. What do the numbers represent in electron designations such as 5px and 7py?

The number represents the principal quantum number, which indicates the energy level of the electron. The higher the number, the higher the energy level.

2. What does the letter designation in electron orbitals indicate?

The letter indicates the type of orbital, with p orbitals being shaped like dumbbells and d orbitals being more complex in shape.

3. Can an electron have the same designation in different energy levels?

No, each electron in an atom must have a unique set of quantum numbers, including the designation in the electron orbital.

4. How many electrons can each orbital designation hold?

The p orbital can hold a maximum of 6 electrons, the d orbital can hold a maximum of 10 electrons, and the s and f orbitals can hold a maximum of 2 electrons each.

5. What is the significance of the x, y, and z in electron designations?

These letters represent the axes along which the electron can move in the orbital. For example, 5px indicates an electron in the fifth energy level, in the p orbital, and along the x-axis.