How to Calculate Magnetic Field in a Toroid Using Ampere's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field inside of a toroid with 850 turns. The formula used is B= mu_0*N*I/(2*pi*R), where N is the number of turns, I is the current, and R is the distance from the center to a point inside the toroid. The inner and outer radii of the toroid are used to determine the axis of the coils, and the final solution is mu_0*850*I/(2*pi*R). The conversation also references a webpage for further explanation.
sfdevil

Homework Statement

Use Ampere’s law to calculate the magnetic field inside of a toroid with 850 turns. The inner radius of the rectangular coils is 3.00 cm, the outer radius is 7.00 cm.

Homework Equations

ampere's law: path integral(B*ds) over a closed path is equal to the enclosed current times mu_0

The Attempt at a Solution

by ampere's law for toroids, I get B= mu_0*N*I/(2*pi*R)
Im confused as to what the inner and outer radius have to do with this problem,
hence the cry for help :(
anyone ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The two radii are there so you can determine the axis of toroidal coils. This is chosen as it simplifies Amperes circuital law to the equation you have stated.

so basically these numbers don't really matter, right ?
since I am finding the magnetic field inside the toroid, its just going to be r as an arbitrary length from the center to some point inside (between 3 and 7 cms) ...correct ?

if so, then the final solution is mu_0*850*I/(2*pi*R), right ?

so from that explanation, I got that since inner radius is 3 and outer is 7, then radius of the rectangular cross-section is 4/2=2
so r=3+2=5

thats about as much as I could get from that page, please let me know If I am still missing something...

That should be ok.

Related to How to Calculate Magnetic Field in a Toroid Using Ampere's Law?

1. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a geometric shape that resembles a donut or a circular ring. It is formed by rotating a circle around an axis outside of the circle.

2. How is a magnetic field created in a toroid?

A magnetic field is created in a toroid by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around the toroid's circular axis. The resulting magnetic field is concentrated within the toroid and follows the shape of the toroid's circular path.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a toroid?

The direction of the magnetic field in a toroid is parallel to the circular axis and perpendicular to the plane of the toroid. This means that the magnetic field lines form concentric circles around the toroid's axis.

4. What are the applications of a toroid's magnetic field?

A toroid's magnetic field has various applications, including in transformers, electromagnets, and inductors. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of magnetic fields.

5. How does the number of turns in the wire affect the magnetic field in a toroid?

The number of turns in the wire wrapped around a toroid affects the strength of the magnetic field. The more turns there are, the stronger the magnetic field will be, as the magnetic field lines will be more concentrated and closer together.