Magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable

In summary, the magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable is determined by the fields inside and out and the current flowing through the conductor.
happyparticle
Homework Statement
Magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable
Relevant Equations
##E_b = \frac{1}{2\mu_0} \int\int\int B^2 dv##
Hi,

I have to find the magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable of inner radius ##a## and outer radium ##b##, ##I = I##

By using Ampere's law
if ##r<a##
##B = \frac{\mu_0Ir}{2\pi a^2}##

if ##a<r<b##
##B = \frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}##

if ##r>b##
##B = 0##

Then, the energy in a magnetic field ##E_b = \frac{1}{2\mu_0} \int\int\int B^2 dv##

Since I have 2 different ##B## inside the cable, I'm not sure how to use this formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your fields inside and out have different units. You should worry.

Likes happyparticle
hutchphd said:
Your fields inside and out have different units. You should worry.
I'm not sure to understand. Of course the fields inside and out have different units since ##B = 0## if ##r>b##
Is ##E_{tot} = E_{b1} + E_{b2}##

For example,
if ##a<r<b## and for a length = l
##E_{b1} = \frac{\mu_0 I^2 l}{4\pi} \cdot ln\frac{b}{a}##

I see you have corrected it. Good.

hutchphd said:
I see you have corrected it. Good.
All right, but is it correct to say that ##E_{tot} = E_{b1} + E_{b2}##

What is ##b_1## ? ##b_2##? You need the integral as defined (notice ##B^2##). You will need to divide up the integral and use the value for B in each region.

I have to find the energy stored by the magnetic field.

##b_1## is the magnetic field where ##r<a## and ##b_2## is the magnetic field where ##a<r<b##

So, I would like to know If I have to find ##E_b## in each region?

Oh, I see, yes you do. So there will be two (easy) integrals one for each region. You've already done the in between ...did you do r<a yet?

Likes happyparticle
You have also called the regions several different ways! And look at he constants in the energy.

hutchphd said:
You have also called the regions several different ways! And look at he constants in the energy.
I didn't notice, sorry.

Thus,
##E_{tot} = \frac{\mu_0 I^2 L}{4\pi}(\frac{1}{4} + ln(\frac{b}{a}))##

Does it makes sense?

##r<a##
##E_{b2} = \frac{\mu_0 I^2 L}{16\pi} ##

I think the units are correct (## \mu_0 ## is Henrys /m ) . Check the r<a it seems off by a factor of 2 to me.

Yeah I guess its right...up to you now!

All right, so my ##r<a## is not off by a factor of 4?

My original objection was incorrect. I haven't looked at this problem before and the 1/4 seems weird to me but I don't see anything wrong so call it good.

All right, I trust you more than I trust myself.

Thanks!

When it comes to Algebra, probably not a good decision on your part.

EDIT: sorry about the mix-up.

What you are describing is not a coax cable. Looks like it's just the outer conductor of a coax cable.
Assuming that and a current flowing through the conductor, use Ampere's law as you describe for a<r<b, then your volume integral.
(Question to you: what is the field 0<r<a?). An easy integration (think cylindrical coordinales).
Don't know what all the E fields are doing in the foregoing posts.

1. What is magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable?

Magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable refers to the energy stored in the magnetic field that is generated by the flow of electric current through the cable.

2. How is magnetic energy created in a coaxial cable?

Magnetic energy is created in a coaxial cable through the interaction between the electric field and the conductive materials in the cable, such as the inner and outer conductors.

3. Can magnetic energy be measured in a coaxial cable?

Yes, magnetic energy can be measured in a coaxial cable using specialized instruments such as a Gaussmeter or a Fluxmeter. These devices measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does magnetic energy affect the performance of a coaxial cable?

Magnetic energy can cause interference and loss of signal in a coaxial cable if the cable is not properly shielded. It can also affect the impedance and attenuation of the cable, which can impact its overall performance.

5. Is magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable harmful to humans?

No, the magnetic energy inside a coaxial cable is typically very low and poses no harm to humans. However, it is important to handle and use coaxial cables properly to avoid any potential electric shock hazards.