Uniform circular motion issue

by bertoline
Tags: circular, issue, motion, uniform
Share this thread:
bertoline
Feb7-08, 03:19 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A woman rides on a Ferris wheel of radius 16 m that maintains the same speed throughout its motion. To better understand physics, she takes along a digital bathroom scale (with memory) and sits on it. When she gets off the ride, she uploads the scale readings to a computer and creates a graph of scale reading versus time. Note that the graph has a minimum value of 510 N and a maximum value of 666 N .

What is the woman's mass?

2. Relevant equations
Ac=v^2/R
V=(2piR)/T
w=mg
Period = 22s

3. The attempt at a solution
Woman velocity/acceleration:
Velocity= 2pi(16)/22 = 4.57 m/s
Acceleration=(4.57)^2/16 = 1.31 m/s^2

i am stuck here, can't figure what equation to use next.
i think this might be it
Fnet=ma = m (v^2/R)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
Dick
Feb7-08, 07:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Talking in terms of centripetal 'forces', the force on the scale at the top is mg-mv^2/r=510N and the force at the bottom is mg+mv^2/r=666N. If you subtract those you can solve for mv^2/r and then use your value for v^2/r to solve for m. Alternatively, you could add them and solve for mg. You should get about the same thing. So you never actually needed to know the radius and rotation rate of the wheel. I'd suggest you do the former though, since that's probably what they want to do.
bertoline
Feb7-08, 08:21 PM
P: 8
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Talking in terms of centripetal 'forces', the force on the scale at the top is mg-mv^2/r=510N and the force at the bottom is mg+mv^2/r=666N. If you subtract those you can solve for mv^2/r and then use your value for v^2/r to solve for m. Alternatively, you could add them and solve for mg. You should get about the same thing. So you never actually needed to know the radius and rotation rate of the wheel. I'd suggest you do the former though, since that's probably what they want to do.
i solved it.
answer: 60kg.

Dick
Feb7-08, 10:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Uniform circular motion issue

Right.

Register to reply