Elevator Motion and Bathroom Scale Readings

In summary: The man is on a scale that is calibrated in Newtons. The scale is measuring the force of gravity, which is always pulling the man down. The elevator is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the force of gravity is the same no matter where the elevator is in the building. The elevator has stopped descending when it has reached the bottom floor. This means that the force of gravity has stopped pulling the man down. Now we can solve for the forces. The force of gravity is pulling the man down with a force of 6 Newtons. The force of the scale is pushing the man down with a force of 2 Newtons.
Lucyc2008

Homework Statement

A physics student . stands on a bathroom scale, calibrated in Newtons, while riding in an elevator. How will the reading on the bathroom scale compare to the normal reading for the following sequence of the elevator's motion? elevator starts to descend; elevator descends at constant velocity; elevator stops descending

Homework Equations

I think this has something to do with Fn (normal force) and velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is lighter, normal, heavier as the elevator changes motion because of the velocity/acceleration, for heavier my guess is because the scale or Fn? has to push upward against the person while descending which means more contact against the scale. My guess for lighter is because as the elevator descends the scale drops a little bit.[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lucyc2008,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Lucyc2008 said:
My guess is heavier, normal, lighter.
Please show your reasoning for your guesses. What forces are acting?

Lucyc2008 said:
My guess is lighter, normal, heavier as the elevator changes motion because of the velocity/acceleration, for heavier my guess is because the scale or Fn? has to push upward against the person while descending which means more contact against the scale. My guess for lighter is because as the elevator descends the scale drops a little bit.

Hmmm ... well your intuition is pretty good, but your explanation is not very good physics. We’ve all been on elevators, so we are all likely to guess correctly based on our experience. I think the trick here is to use what you’ve learned in physics so that you aren’t guessing, but know for sure.

To ground this in some good physics reasoning, don’t think about what the elevator is doing. Think about the motion of the man. Think about what forces are being applied to him, and think about what those forces must be to cause his motion.

What causes an elevator to feel heavier or lighter?

The weight of an elevator can change depending on the number of people and objects inside it. The more weight there is, the heavier the elevator will feel.

Is it safe to exceed the weight limit of an elevator?

No, it is not safe to exceed the weight limit of an elevator. Every elevator is designed and tested to hold a certain amount of weight and exceeding that limit can put a strain on the elevator's components and potentially cause malfunctions or even accidents.

Can an elevator's weight limit be adjusted?

No, the weight limit of an elevator cannot be adjusted. It is determined by the elevator's design and safety regulations and cannot be changed.

How does an elevator's weight limit affect its speed?

The weight limit does not directly affect an elevator's speed. However, if the elevator is carrying close to or over its weight limit, it may take longer to reach its destination as it needs to use more power to move the heavier load.

Why do some elevators have weight sensors?

Some elevators have weight sensors to ensure that they do not exceed their weight limit. If the weight limit is exceeded, the elevator may not operate or may display an error message to prevent any potential safety hazards.