Steam tables for water

by mathis314
Tags: steam, tables, water
mathis314
Feb18-08, 05:05 PM
P: 20
Can anybody post a link for the steam tables of water? Any would work that have specific volumes of the gas and liquid phases at all temperatures, and also have the specific enthalpies of each phase at each temperature.

thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Large streams of data warn cars, banks and oil drillers
Engineering student developing traffic forecasts
Tom Mattson
Feb18-08, 05:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,540
The age of steam tables is over! The age of EES is here!

http://www.mhhe.com/engcs/mech/ees/

Seriously, you never have to interpolate in thermodynamics again.
Astronuc
Feb18-08, 07:43 PM
Admin
P: 21,625
Thanks, Tom!
EES was developed by two professors, Dr. William Beckman and Dr. Sanford Klein, both of the University of Wisconsin. Their experience in teaching mechanical engineering thermodynamics and heat transfer showed that students were spending too much time looking up property information and solving equations for their homework problems, tasks that did not help the students master the subject material.
No kidding!

Instead we should have been learning the correlations and inter-relationships. In grad, my colleagues and I spent a lot of time building property models from scratch.

Meanwhile -
http://www.mrc-eng.com/Downloads/Sat...Properties.pdf

http://www.eas.asu.edu/~holbert/eee463/SteamTable.pdf (British units )

russ_watters
Feb19-08, 10:40 PM
Mentor
P: 21,997

Steam tables for water

If you google "saturated steam table", you get thousands of useful hits...

I was introduced to EES but didn't spend much time with it. I'm a little unsure of this issue (sorry about the hijack...). For simple problems, being able to use a table can provide very fast answers. I think like with calculators, they are a good tool, but it is still an open question where the line should be drawn when cutting out unnecessary subjects to teach kids.

That said, I recently found a "table" while doing a problem at work that was form-based: you enter in one property and it gives you the rest. Very slick (sorry, don't have the link on my home comp).

And what about my Psych chart!?
mathis314
Feb19-08, 11:31 PM
P: 20
psychometric charts are certainly mad, although they are really useful when calculating humidities.
Mech_Engineer
Feb21-08, 12:55 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
One of these days I'm going to need a lot of thermodynamic properties for a couple of working fluids, and that will be the day I talk my employer into buying me a copy of RefProp:

NIST RefProp Software

For now though, if I need some thermo properties I either look them up in my Thermo book, or the free NIST online database of thermophysical properties.

In my opinion, familiarity with T-S and H-S diagrams (as old-fashioned as they may be) can be very useful in the visualization of power and refrigeration cycles, something that simply looking up single properties using a piece of software wouldn't really help with... Still, it is true that a large chunk of my time in Thermo 1 & 2 was spent looking up properties of air, steam, and R-144a.

Register to reply