I'm in dire need of momentum help.

by TheNormalForc
Tags: dire, momentum
Share this thread:
TheNormalForc
Feb18-08, 07:44 PM
P: 13
If P = mv, then P^2/(2m) is:

I know the answer is Kinetic Energy, I just don't know the proof. Help?

A 70kg man and his 40kg daughter stand together on skates in the middle of a frozen lake. They push apart. Immediately after the push the father has an initial velocity of .8 m/s in on direction and his daughter has an initial velocity of v in the opposite direction.

Find the magnitude of v, the daughter's speed:

The question continues to ask for other variables and the like, which I could all calculate if I knew the daughter's speed, which I can not figure out. Please do help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Kurdt
Feb18-08, 07:51 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,981
I'm sure you know that [itex]E_k = 1/2 mv^2 [/itex]. You can work out v in terms of momentum and substitute.

Remember that momentum is conserved. You can use this to work out the daughters speed.
lavalamp
Feb18-08, 07:52 PM
P: 280
For the first question you ask, I just answered an almost identical one here.

For the second part. You know that their momentum must be the same, but in opposite directions. Since you know the fathers momentum is mv = 70*0.8, you can set it equal to the daughters and solve for her velocity.

TheNormalForc
Feb18-08, 08:07 PM
I'm in dire need of momentum help.

The simplicity of my delima really disheartens me, you know?

Thank you both.
lavalamp
Feb18-08, 08:09 PM
P: 280
Ah don't sweat it too much, any day you learn something new is a good day right?
TheNormalForc
Feb18-08, 08:13 PM
That's true, but it's sometimes frustrating to ask for help. Atleast with the advent of the internet I can ask behind anonimity.
Kurdt
Feb18-08, 08:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by TheNormalForc View Post
That's true, but it's sometimes frustrating to ask for help. Atleast with the advent of the internet I can ask behind anonimity.
I wouldn't be embarrassed or frustrated about asking for help. How else do we learn.
TheNormalForc
Feb18-08, 08:38 PM
Well, while we're on the subject of helping.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the daughter's skates and the ice is mew = .1, how far will she slide before she is brought to a stop by the friction force?
Kurdt
Feb18-08, 08:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Well, while we're on the subject of helping.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the daughter's skates and the ice is mew = .1, how far will she slide before she is brought to a stop by the friction force?
We help, we don't give answers . What have you tried so far or what are your thoughts about tackling this problem?
TheNormalForc
Feb18-08, 08:47 PM
I calculated that the average force exerted on the daughter is 160N, and that the magnitude of her velocity is 1.4 m/s. I know F=ma is a relevant formula to the question, but I'm stuck from that point on.
Kurdt
Feb18-08, 08:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I calculated that the average force exerted on the daughter is 160N, and that the magnitude of her velocity is 1.4 m/s. I know F=ma is a relevant formula to the question, but I'm stuck from that point on.
The average force from friction will not be 160N. The force of friction is [itex] F = \mu_k N [/itex], with N the normal force. Once you have the force you can work out the acceleration from F = ma. Then you will need to use the kinematic equations.

Register to reply