Is MIT's Linear Algebra Video Lecture a Must-Watch for Beginners?

In summary, the conversation discusses the quality and accessibility of a video lecture on linear algebra by Professor Strang from MIT. It is recommended for beginners and the speaker particularly enjoyed the lesson on projections onto subspaces. The speaker also notes a different approach to subspace projection taught in the lecture compared to what they learned in a previous linear algebra course.
zyh
Hi, I found it is a good video lecture in :
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-06Spring-2005/CourseHome/
so, as a beginner of linear algebra, It is a good stuff for you! All video can be downloaded to your PC. And Professor Strang is so nice speaking!

Physics news on Phys.org
zyh ,I think so!

agree

I listened to a few, and thought that 'Projections onto Subspaces' was particularily good.

Back in my LA course (which was 12 years ago so perhaps I forgot;) ... I had only seen subspace projection expressed in a graham-shmidt fashion using a basis. His presentation of this in matrix form is superb (nice concept and very well taught IMO).

1. What is the format of a typical video lecture on MIT?

A typical video lecture on MIT is usually a recording of a professor giving a lecture on a specific topic. It may include slides, diagrams, or other visual aids to supplement the lecture.

2. How long are the video lectures on MIT?

The length of video lectures on MIT can vary, but they typically range from 45 minutes to an hour. Some may be shorter or longer depending on the topic and the professor's teaching style.

3. Are the video lectures on MIT interactive?

No, the video lectures on MIT are not interactive. They are pre-recorded and can be watched at any time, but there is no live interaction with the professor or other students.

4. Can anyone access the video lectures on MIT?

Yes, anyone with an internet connection can access the video lectures on MIT. They are available for free on the MIT OpenCourseWare website.

5. Are the video lectures on MIT equivalent to attending a live class?

The video lectures on MIT are not equivalent to attending a live class. While they may cover the same material, attending a live class allows for interaction with the professor and other students, as well as the opportunity to ask questions in real-time.