Video lectures in Nuclear and Particle physics? (Undergraduate)

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of video lectures for nuclear and particle physics in relation to the shift to online teaching. The person is looking for recommendations for video lectures that cover the curriculum in "Nuclear and Particle Physics" by Martin and Shaw, with a preference for English-speaking lecturers. Suggestions for lectures by Tobias Osborne and Alex Flournoy are mentioned, which can be found on YouTube.
rnielsen25
TL;DR Summary
Do you know of any video lectures in Nuclear and Particle physics on undergraduate level (Can be separate courses)?
Hi everyone,

I was hoping the internet would be filled with video lectures since lots of universities have been forced to conduct online teaching.
However, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Therefore I was hoping that some of you know of some great video lectures for nuclear and particle physics (Can be separate courses/two video lecture series). Preferably the video lectures should cover some/most of the curriculum in "Nuclear and Particle Physics" by Martin and Shaw (see below). But the course doesn't necessarily need to use this book in the course. I have found some lectures from an Indian university and lectures from a French university. But their English skills don't seem to be too good, so I was hoping you knew of some well English speaking lectures?

- Table of Contents - book by Martin and Shaw

Physics news on Phys.org
There are the ones by Tobias Osborne of Heidelberg. Focuses mostly on formalism of qft.
Or you could check Alex Flournoy ,he mostly focuses on the standard model lagrangina.
Both can be found on YouTube.

1. What is the difference between nuclear physics and particle physics?

Nuclear physics is the study of the nucleus of an atom and the forces that hold it together, while particle physics is the study of subatomic particles and their interactions. Nuclear physics focuses on larger, more stable particles like protons and neutrons, while particle physics looks at smaller, more unstable particles like quarks and leptons.

2. What are some real-world applications of nuclear and particle physics?

Nuclear and particle physics have many practical applications, such as in nuclear power plants, medical imaging and treatments (such as PET scans and radiation therapy), and even in the development of new materials and technologies. Understanding these fields also helps us understand the fundamental workings of the universe.

3. How do video lectures enhance learning in nuclear and particle physics?

Video lectures can be a valuable tool in learning about complex topics like nuclear and particle physics. They allow students to see visual representations of concepts and experiments, which can aid in understanding. Additionally, students can pause, rewind, and re-watch lectures at their own pace, making it easier to grasp difficult concepts.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding video lectures in nuclear and particle physics?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of physics and mathematics, most video lectures in nuclear and particle physics are designed for undergraduate students with no prior knowledge of the subject. However, a strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and mechanics can make the material easier to comprehend.

5. How can I apply the knowledge gained from video lectures in nuclear and particle physics to my future career?

Studying nuclear and particle physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia or national laboratories, as well as careers in industries such as healthcare, energy, and technology. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills developed through studying these fields are also valuable in many other professions.