voltage from current across impedance

by perryben
Tags: current, impedance, voltage
perryben
Apr16-08, 08:47 PM
P: 8
So the power is S=VI*=ZI^2.

the question is whether V=ZI* or just ZI. Using V=ZI when I calculate the voltage i get a negative answer.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
kmarinas86
Apr16-08, 11:29 PM
P: 1,011
Quote Quote by perryben View Post

the question is whether V=ZI* or just ZI. Using V=ZI when I calculate the voltage i get a negative answer.

Thanks!
Are you using the rms value for I? You'll need that. RMS (root mean square) cannot be negative here. Also, rms current is either greater than or equal to the DC current (mathematics of rms vs. average).
berkeman
Apr17-08, 11:30 AM
Mentor
P: 39,600
Quote Quote by perryben View Post

Thanks!
Thread moved from EE to homework help.

Why would V = ZI* ? Once you have the complex Z and I, the complex V should just be the product of those two. There are times that you use the complex conjugate of a quantity, but I wouldn't think you would use it here....

Register to reply