Reaction Equation Help: Pentan 3 One + 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine Formula

• Thread starter newkidintownu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the Wolff-Kishner reaction to write an equation for the reaction between pentan 3 one and 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine. The person asking for help also mentioned not being very familiar with this area of chemistry and requested any assistance. The conversation also touched on the use of DNP derivatives for melting point determinations and the difference between Brady's test and the Wolff-Kishner reduction.
newkidintownu
Please can somone help me.

I need to write an equation for the reaction between pentan 3 one and 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine.

I am not very good with this area of chemistry so any help will be much appreciated.

Ta

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
bomba923 said:
Hint: Wolff-Kishner

(Edit: this probably belongs in the Homework Help/Other Sciences forum)

The Wolff-Kishner reaction is the reduction that (typically) follows this reaction of a ketone with hydrazine (H2N2H2). I'm not sure it works on a DNP derivative, though. DNP derivatives are usually employed for melting point determinations.

chemisttree said:
The Wolff-Kishner reaction is the reduction that (typically) follows this reaction of a ketone with hydrazine (H2N2H2). I'm not sure it works on a DNP derivative, though. DNP derivatives are usually employed for melting point determinations.
DNP-hydrazine (from the OP) is used to test exclusively for the presence of ketone carbonyls within a molecule via the general Wolff-Kishner reduction. This procedure is known as Brady's Test, which is positive upon formation of a yellow or red precipitate (see Analyst, 1926, 51, 77 - 78, DOI: 10.1039/AN9265100077)

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
DNP-hydrazine (from the OP) is used to test exclusively for the presence of ketone carbonyls within a molecule via the general Wolff-Kishner reduction. This procedure is known as Brady's Test, which is positive upon formation of a yellow or red precipitate (see Analyst, 1926, 51, 77 - 78, DOI: 10.1039/AN9265100077)

That's almost correct. Brady's test is specifically the formation of the DNP derivative itself (both ketones and aldehydes)... not it's further reduction to the alkane if only hydrazine itself were used (Wolff-Kishner Reduction).

The Wolff-Kishner reduction is a specific reaction utilizing an aldehyde or ketone and hydrazine (NOT 2,4-DNP a different 'hydrazine') and a strong base to yield an alkane. Wolff-Kishner is NOT Brady's test. Some elements of the chemistry are similar, however.

chemisttree said:
That's almost correct. Brady's test is specifically the formation of the DNP derivative itself (both ketones and aldehydes)... not it's further reduction to the alkane if only hydrazine itself were used (Wolff-Kishner Reduction).

The Wolff-Kishner reduction is a specific reaction utilizing an aldehyde or ketone and hydrazine (NOT 2,4-DNP a different 'hydrazine') and a strong base to yield an alkane. Wolff-Kishner is NOT Brady's test. Some elements of the chemistry are similar, however.
Indeed--I should have first looked this up on Wikipedia!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine
(even at best, the most convenient reference for this concept)

--Accordingly, no reduction occurs but rather the precipitation of the DNP-derivative
itself and yes, aldehydes as well as ketones are detected by Brady's test

Last edited:

1. What is a reaction equation?

A reaction equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, showing the reactants and products involved and how they are transformed into each other.

2. How do I balance a reaction equation?

To balance a reaction equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of the chemical formulas.

3. What is the purpose of using reaction equations?

Reaction equations help to understand and predict the outcome of chemical reactions. They also provide a way to quantify the amount of reactants and products involved in a reaction.

4. What are the types of reaction equations?

The main types of reaction equations are synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion. These can also be classified as either endothermic or exothermic reactions.

5. Can I use reaction equations to determine the limiting reactant?

Yes, reaction equations can be used to determine the limiting reactant, which is the substance that is completely consumed in a reaction and limits the amount of product that can be formed.