(101)Gamma frequency?

by WPCareyDevil
Tags: 101gamma, frequency, solved
Share this thread:
WPCareyDevil
Apr27-08, 10:25 PM
P: 30
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A gamma particle of energy 4.5 MeV is detected as a product of some nuclear reaction (4.5 MeV is 0.72 pJ). What is the frequency of this gamma radiation?

2. Relevant equations
?

3. The attempt at a solution
I tried using d=vt because it was the closest formula I could find in my notes that had anything to do with frequency. I assumed v=3x10^8. Of course, the answer was not correct. Could someone point me in the right direction here? I figured out every other problem but this one, and I only have 1 attempt left
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
alphysicist
Apr27-08, 11:19 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Hi WPCareyDevil,

What is a gamma particle? (For example, an alpha particle is a helium nuclei, a beta particle is an electron or positron.) Once you identify what it is, what is the formula for its energy?

(I'm wondering about your choice of d=vt. Is it because of the v? If so, in this equation v is velocity, not frequency.)
WPCareyDevil
Apr27-08, 11:37 PM
Well I have done some research and Gamma particles are elctromagnetic radiation (light emission).. E=mc^2 obviously comes to mind, and I could find the mass of the particle, but how does frequency factor in?

I used d=vt because of the t (t^-1=frequency). It was a long shot and didnt make sense to me, but it was the closest I could find and every once in a while Ill connect with a shot in the dark on Webassign.

alphysicist
Apr27-08, 11:41 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
(101)Gamma frequency?

That's right; gamma particles are electromagnetic radiation, and when we speak of their particlelike nature we speak of photons.

So here you need the expression for the energy of a photon. What do you get?
WPCareyDevil
Apr28-08, 12:08 AM
Ah hah! I googled around and found Planck's constant as well as the formula e=hv where v is the frequency. That was something I didnt learn in class at all. Thanks for the help Alphysicist!!!

Register to reply