(101)Gamma frequency?

by WPCareyDevil
Tags: 101gamma, frequency, solved
Share this thread:
WPCareyDevil
Apr27-08, 10:25 PM
P: 30
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A gamma particle of energy 4.5 MeV is detected as a product of some nuclear reaction (4.5 MeV is 0.72 pJ). What is the frequency of this gamma radiation?

2. Relevant equations
?

3. The attempt at a solution
I tried using d=vt because it was the closest formula I could find in my notes that had anything to do with frequency. I assumed v=3x10^8. Of course, the answer was not correct. Could someone point me in the right direction here? I figured out every other problem but this one, and I only have 1 attempt left
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
alphysicist
Apr27-08, 11:19 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Hi WPCareyDevil,

What is a gamma particle? (For example, an alpha particle is a helium nuclei, a beta particle is an electron or positron.) Once you identify what it is, what is the formula for its energy?

(I'm wondering about your choice of d=vt. Is it because of the v? If so, in this equation v is velocity, not frequency.)
WPCareyDevil
Apr27-08, 11:37 PM
Well I have done some research and Gamma particles are elctromagnetic radiation (light emission).. E=mc^2 obviously comes to mind, and I could find the mass of the particle, but how does frequency factor in?

I used d=vt because of the t (t^-1=frequency). It was a long shot and didnt make sense to me, but it was the closest I could find and every once in a while Ill connect with a shot in the dark on Webassign.

alphysicist
Apr27-08, 11:41 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
(101)Gamma frequency?

That's right; gamma particles are electromagnetic radiation, and when we speak of their particlelike nature we speak of photons.

So here you need the expression for the energy of a photon. What do you get?
WPCareyDevil
Apr28-08, 12:08 AM
Ah hah! I googled around and found Planck's constant as well as the formula e=hv where v is the frequency. That was something I didnt learn in class at all. Thanks for the help Alphysicist!!!

Register to reply