Triple Integral: Is \[\frac{{x^3 }}{3}\] Right?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of a function with respect to multiple variables. The final answer was determined to be 1/12. The conversation also included some clarifications and corrections regarding the steps taken to arrive at the solution.
the one
hi everyone
the integral is :
[tex]\[
I = \int\limits_0^1 {\int\limits_0^x {\int\limits_0^y {ydzdydx} } }
\][/tex]
I'm not sure about the answer , but i think it'll be
[tex]\[
\frac{{x^3 }}{3}
\][/tex]
am i right ?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back and learn the basics again. Since there is an integral with respect to dx, the result cannot possibly be a function of x. The result here must be a number. Did you forget to do the final integral?

As halls said, pay very close attention to what variable you are integrating with respect to. If you have a different variable within the integrand treat it as a constant both while integrating and evaluating.

I knew that i was wrong

Last edited:
I am not so sure about that. I got a different answer. Perhaps you want to show your steps?

Sorry , It'll be 1/12 (won't it ??)
[tex]\[
\begin{array}{l}
\int\limits_0^1 {\int\limits_0^x {\int\limits_0^y {ydzdydx = \int\limits_0^1 {\int\limits_0^x {\left( {\int\limits_0^y {ydz} } \right)} } } } } dydx = \int\limits_0^1 {\int\limits_0^x {y^2 } dydx} \\
= \int\limits_0^1 {\left( {\int\limits_0^x {y^2 dy} } \right)} dx = \int\limits_0^1 {\frac{{x^3 }}{3}} dx = \left( {\frac{{x^4 }}{{12}}} \right)_0^1 = \frac{1}{{12}} \\
\end{array}
\][/tex]
Thanks

There you go.

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an integral with three independent variables, used to calculate the volume under a three-dimensional surface.

What does the notation \[\frac{{x^3 }}{3}\] mean?

This notation represents the indefinite integral of the function \[x^3\], which is equal to \[\frac{{x^4 }}{4} + C\], where C is a constant.

Why is the constant C not included in the integral?

The constant C is not included in the integral because it represents the family of functions that have the same derivative, and thus it can be added or subtracted from the integral without changing its value.

How do you solve a triple integral?

To solve a triple integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable, then you can use the appropriate integration techniques (such as the method of slices, cylindrical shells, or substitution) to evaluate the integral.

Is \[\frac{{x^3 }}{3}\] the correct answer for a triple integral?

It depends on the specific problem and the limits of integration. In some cases, \[\frac{{x^3 }}{3}\] may be the correct answer, while in others it may not be. It is important to carefully evaluate the integral to ensure that the correct answer is obtained.