Constraining the path of an infrared LED

In summary: I'm trying to control the beam width over a distance of about 2 ft. I might need to go with a laser emitter...Any suggestions would help.
dingpud
Are there any specific infrared LED's that have a narrow "beam width" when emitting? If not, does anyone know of a way to constrain it? A lens perhaps?

I would like to control the beam width over a distance of about 2 ft. I might need to go with a laser emitter...

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe use a reflector element to focus the beam? Not sure about IR lenses. Did you google that?

For a typical 905nm (TV remote type) infrared led, most simple lenses will work pretty much the same as for a deep red led.
A B+W security camera is very useful for setup and focussing.

Using a short length of tubing will keep the beam fairly narrow over a couple feet.
The method you need to use depends on your exact requirements.

This all helps.

Thanks for the links.

If I get any results, I'll try and post them on this thread.

Thanks again.

mgb_phys said:
For a typical 905nm (TV remote type) infrared led, most simple lenses will work pretty much the same as for a deep red led.
A B+W security camera is very useful for setup and focussing.

I wouldn't know if my TV remote is IR or UV. Out of curiosity I tried my cell phone camera. It picks up the LED output, and displays it as pale blue.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I tried my remote on a web cam.
It's definitely an IR remote, but it does indeed show blue.

Looks like the camera color processing folds redder than red back over into blue.
I wonder if a UV source would show up as red for the same reason.
I don't have a UV source to try this.

The fiberoptics we used in labs at school had IR emitters that were encased in reflective material, so all the energy went into the fiber. BTW, have you thought of using an optical fiber to contain the beam?

NoTime said:
Out of curiosity I tried my remote on a web cam.
It's definitely an IR remote, but it does indeed show blue.

Looks like the camera color processing folds redder than red back over into blue.
I wonder if a UV source would show up as red for the same reason.
I don't have a UV source to try this.

I don't have a web cam for comparison, so still using the cell camera.

I've been racking my brain for a UV source. It dawned on me, I had an old UV windowed eprom eraser. There's no filter over the tube. My samsung verizon cellphone camera picks up the light and displays it as saturated white surrounded by pale blue. The direct TV remote has a very dark red lense over the LEDs. On closer inspection, the LEDs are displayed as saturated white, and what I percieve as a surrounding pale red halo, itself surrounded with a pale blue halo.

I should add that I've been placing the camera too close to focus.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
I've been racking my brain for a UV source. It dawned on me, I had an old UV windowed eprom eraser. There's no filter over the tube. My samsung verizon cellphone camera picks up the light and displays it as saturated white surrounded by pale blue. The direct TV remote has a very dark red lense over the LEDs. On closer inspection, the LEDs are displayed as saturated white, and what I percieve as a surrounding red halo, itself surrounded with a blue halo.

My IR shows saturated white to dark blue depending on how much I attenuate the beam.
Didn't notice any haloing effect that I can see. The image on the PC is fairly large compared to a cell phone.
I have a few UV sources, like your eprom eraser, but they all produce far to much visible light.

LURCH said:
BTW, have you thought of using an optical fiber to contain the beam?

No, haven't thought about it at all...please give any suggestions that you may have.

I know the time from the past thread has been a little bit, but thought I would continue this...

Does anyone know of any low price suppliers of laser pointers? I googled them and got all kinds of stuff I wasn't looking for... I thought I remembered seeing nice single point lasers on the boardwalk for like $5...where'd they all go?

Can you explain more about what you are trying to do? I thought you were using IR ... laser pointers are generally visible light. What about a simple lens and an LED (IR or visible)?

Anyway, I see laser pointers at my local Ace Hardware store for around $5 or $10.

1. How do you constrain the path of an infrared LED?

There are several methods for constraining the path of an infrared LED. One common way is to use a physical barrier, such as a tube or enclosure, to direct the light in a specific direction. Another method is to use reflectors or lenses to focus the light in a desired direction.

2. Why is it important to constrain the path of an infrared LED?

Constraining the path of an infrared LED is important because it allows for more precise and accurate communication or detection. By controlling the direction of the light, you can ensure that it reaches the intended target and reduces interference from ambient light.

3. Can you use software to constrain the path of an infrared LED?

While software can be used to control the on and off states of an infrared LED, it cannot physically constrain the path of the light. This must be done through physical barriers or optics.

4. What factors should be considered when constraining the path of an infrared LED?

Some important factors to consider when constraining the path of an infrared LED include the angle and direction of the light, the distance it needs to travel, and the potential for interference from other light sources. It is also important to consider the materials used for the barrier or optics to ensure they do not absorb or reflect the infrared light.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with infrared LEDs?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when working with infrared LEDs. While they are not visible to the naked eye, they can still cause harm to the eyes if viewed directly. It is important to use proper eye protection when working with infrared light and to follow safety guidelines for handling electronic components.