Help with drawing a circuit diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help with drawing a circuit diagram for a school project. The diagram should include an electric motor, a green light, a red light, and a switch, with the red light being on when the motor is running and the green light being on when the motor is off. The diagram provided may have a potential short circuit, but the motor should be included in one of the arms of the circuit. Tracing the current in this simple circuit is compared to imagining water flowing through a pipe.
Gombay
This is a problem for school that I need a little help with:

Draw a circuit diagram that includes an electric motor, a green light, a red light, and a switch. If the motor is on, the red light should be on. If the motor is off, the green light should be on.

Here is what I have so far. I'm thinking this might actually short circuit but I'm not sure. I also don't know where the motor will come into play or why exactly I need it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1069/circuitdiagramld7.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You simply have to put the motor in one of the arm sof the circuit (the one with the red light) otherwise - very good.

For such a simple circuit, tracing the current is easy - just imagine it was a pipe full of water and draw a colored line wherever the water (current) could flow.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your circuit diagram. I am happy to assist you in creating a functional and accurate diagram.

First, let's address your concerns about a potential short circuit. The diagram you have provided does not appear to have any short circuits. However, it is important to ensure that all components are properly connected and that there are no overlapping wires or connections. Additionally, it may be helpful to label each component and connection to avoid confusion.

Now, let's incorporate the electric motor into the circuit. The motor will serve as the power source for the lights, so it will need to be connected to them. To do this, we can add two wires from the motor to the lights, one to the red light and one to the green light.

Next, we need to add the switch to the circuit. The switch will act as a gate, allowing or preventing the flow of electricity to the lights. To do this, we can add the switch in between the motor and the lights, with one wire connecting the switch to the motor and two wires connecting the switch to the lights.

Finally, we need to consider the functionality of the lights based on the motor's status. When the motor is on, the red light should be on and the green light should be off. When the motor is off, the green light should be on and the red light should be off. To achieve this, we can connect the red light to the positive wire from the motor and the green light to the negative wire from the motor. This way, when the motor is on, it will complete the circuit for the red light, and when it is off, it will complete the circuit for the green light.

Overall, your circuit diagram should look something like this:

I hope this helps you with your school project. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your diagram!

What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit. It shows the connections and components of the circuit using standardized symbols.

Why do I need a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is essential for understanding and troubleshooting an electrical circuit. It helps to visualize the flow of electricity and identify potential issues.

How do I draw a circuit diagram?

To draw a circuit diagram, you will need to first identify the components and connections in your circuit. Then, using standardized symbols, you can draw the circuit on a piece of paper or use a computer program.

What are some common symbols used in circuit diagrams?

Some common symbols used in circuit diagrams include a resistor (a zigzag line), a battery (two parallel lines), and a lightbulb (a circle with a cross inside). There are also symbols for switches, capacitors, and more.

Are there any tools or software that can help with drawing a circuit diagram?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist with drawing circuit diagrams. Some popular options include CircuitLab, SmartDraw, and Fritzing. These tools have pre-made symbols and templates to make drawing a circuit diagram easier and more accurate.