Register to reply

Vector Proof Centroid Theorem

by pjallen58
Tags: centroid, proof, theorem, vector
Share this thread:
pjallen58
Jun17-08, 04:42 PM
P: 12
I am trying to figure out how to prove the 2:1 ratio of a triangle's medians at the centroid using vectors. Example if I had a triangle ABC with midpoints D of BC, E of AC and F of AB. I know G is where the medians intersect. I have seen many proofs and understand the process that proves the addition of the vectors from the centroid to the vertices are zero i.e. GA+GB+GC=0.
Click image for larger version

Name:	vectorsum_dreieck.GIF
Views:	122
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	14402
Does this prove the 2:1 ratio? I cannot find anything explaining how to prove the actual 2:1 ratio. I am not sure if I am missing something or what. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
tiny-tim
Jun18-08, 04:45 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Quote Quote by pjallen58 View Post
I am trying to figure out how to prove the 2:1 ratio of a triangle's medians at the centroid using vectors. Example if I had a triangle ABC with midpoints D of BC, E of AC and F of AB. I know G is where the medians intersect. I have seen many proofs and understand the process that proves the addition of the vectors from the centroid to the vertices are zero i.e. GA+GB+GC=0.
Attachment 14402
Does this prove the 2:1 ratio? I cannot find anything explaining how to prove the actual 2:1 ratio. I am not sure if I am missing something or what. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi pjallen58!

Yes, because, for example, a + 2(d) is 1/3 of the way,

and that's a + 2(1/2(b + c)), = a + b + c!

Register to reply