Are the coordinates of the vertices of this triangle all integers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the perimeter, largest angle, and centroid of a triangle given three sides represented by vector equations. The expert summarizes the steps taken to find the vertices of the triangle and calculates the perimeter to be 3√5+√41+2√26. However, there may be a possibility of rounding for the answer, as the coordinates of the vertices are not all integers.
chucktingle
L1 [x,y]=[2,1]+r[-5,1]
L2 [x,y]=[1,4]+s[2,1]
L3 [x,y]=[3,5]+t[4,-5]
These three lines are sides of a triangle
find: 1)the perimeter of the triangle
2) The largest angle
3) the centroid of the triangle

so I converted the vector equations into parametric, and then made two of the x parametric equations to equal each other to find the vertices.This gave me to vertices (-3,2), (7,0) and (3,5). The problem is the perimeter I get from those vertices is not an integer, I was told it would have no decimals. Am I going about the problem incorrectly? Once I have the vertices I can easily find the angle with cosine law, and use the centroid formula for the centroid, I am just not sure about the vertices I got.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I would convert to Cartesian coordinates:

\(\displaystyle L1\implies x+5y=7\)

\(\displaystyle L2\implies x-2y=-7\)

\(\displaystyle L3\implies 5x+4y=35\)

View attachment 6567

I agree with the vertices you found. And so the perimeter $P$ is:

\(\displaystyle P=\sqrt{6^2+3^2}+\sqrt{4^2+5^2}+\sqrt{10^2+2^2}=3\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{41}+2\sqrt{26}\)

Is this what you have?

Attachments

• triangle_vectors.png
    triangle_vectors.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 60
MarkFL said:
I think I would convert to Cartesian coordinates:

\(\displaystyle L1\implies x+5y=7\)

\(\displaystyle L2\implies x-2y=-7\)

\(\displaystyle L3\implies 5x+4y=35\)
I agree with the vertices you found. And so the perimeter $P$ is:

\(\displaystyle P=\sqrt{6^2+3^2}+\sqrt{4^2+5^2}+\sqrt{10^2+2^2}=3\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{41}+2\sqrt{26}\)

Is this what you have?

Thanks for the reply, yep that's what I got. Maybe they rounded for the answer?

chucktingle said:
Thanks for the reply, yep that's what I got. Maybe they rounded for the answer?

I'm thinking that perhaps what was intended was that the coordinates of the 3 vertices would all be integers. :)

1. What are vector formulas and triangles?

Vector formulas and triangles involve using mathematical equations to calculate and manipulate quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and displacement. Triangles are often used in these formulas as they represent the relationship between different quantities in a visual way.

2. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector terms, this means that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. Can vector formulas be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, vector formulas can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the forces acting on an object, or analyzing the motion of an object in a given system.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, such as mass or temperature, while a vector has both magnitude and direction, such as force or velocity. Scalars can be added or subtracted using regular arithmetic, while vectors require more complex mathematical operations.

5. How can I use vector formulas to solve for unknown angles in a triangle?

To solve for unknown angles in a triangle using vector formulas, you can use the law of cosines or the law of sines. The law of cosines states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides and the cosine of the included angle. The law of sines states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of its opposite angle is equal to the same ratio for the other two sides and their opposite angles.