Register to reply

Is Human Flight Possible?

by jeremylorino
Tags: flight, human
Share this thread:
jeremylorino
Jun20-08, 08:17 PM
P: n/a
Is human flight possible? I'm not talking about flapping your wings. I'm talking about flying like Superman. I think it's possible. Does anyone have an explaination? I fly all the time in my dreams and I feel like I could fly in real life. Please be serious about this post because I am.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Evo
Jun20-08, 08:22 PM
Mentor
P: 26,552
No. But I'll let some other members respond before I lock this.
Danger
Jun20-08, 08:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
The only mechanism of propulsion would be super-flatulence. Do you really want a fart of Kryptonian proportions let loose on our planet?

Ivan Seeking
Jun20-08, 09:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Is Human Flight Possible?

Quote Quote by jeremylorino View Post
Is human flight possible? I'm not talking about flapping your wings. I'm talking about flying like Superman. I think it's possible. Does anyone have an explaination? I fly all the time in my dreams and I feel like I could fly in real life. Please be serious about this post because I am.
Watch this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU

Superman is supposed to fly based on powers that we don't understand. So the answer is, first, yes, we can fly like jetman, as linked above, and we could fly like superman if we discovered some means of flight that we don't currently recognize, but that allows flight like superman, but in the end it would just be another version of jetman - it would be based on some sort of technology. Beyond that we are into questions like, can God make you fly, and we can't go there; nor do we want to.
G01
Jun20-08, 09:09 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
I suggest you don't test your hypothesis that you can fly in real life. It could turn out bad.

What you "feel" doesn't necessarily correspond to the truth. For example, I felt like I could sing, but I have been told otherwise.

(Evo, you must be having a boring Friday night to let this thread keep brewing.)
B. Elliott
Jun20-08, 09:10 PM
P: 399
You can take flying lessons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ie3Myg0c6U
Evo
Jun20-08, 09:24 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by G01 View Post
I suggest you don't test your hypothesis that you can fly in real life. It could turn out bad.

What you "feel" doesn't necessarily correspond to the truth. For example, I felt like I could sing, but I have been told otherwise.

(Evo, you must be having a boring Friday night to let this thread keep brewing.)
Well, I was thinking that someone would explain from a practical standpoint that the human body is not aerodynamic and would pretty much defy known laws for a human to just lift off the ground and fly, especially without moving any body parts (like superman). Even a bird won't fly if it doesn't move.
rootX
Jun20-08, 09:31 PM
P: 1,294
Yep, it is possible.

Birds couldn't fly millions of years ago?
B. Elliott
Jun20-08, 09:31 PM
Taking the OP's question seriously, I suppose a human could fly like superman while on another body in the solar system. A small moon such as Phobos for instance. The gravity is low enough that if you were to start out by walking then slowly increased your pace, you could eventually jump high enough to put yourself into temporary orbit around Phobos. If you jumped hard enough, you could possibly surpass escape velocity completely.
edward
Jun20-08, 09:32 PM
PF Gold
P: 876
Some people will try anything;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwpsDtKTcqI
Evo
Jun20-08, 09:38 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by B. Elliott View Post
Taking the OP's question seriously, I suppose a human could fly like superman while on another body in the solar system. A small moon such as Phobos for instance. The gravity is low enough that if you were to start out by walking then slowly increased your pace, you could eventually jump high enough to put yourself into temporary orbit around Phobos. If you jumped hard enough, you could possibly surpass escape velocity completely.
Yes, once we get pass the issues of atmosphere and temperature. For that matter just stick him in outer space and give him a push to get him moving.
Ivan Seeking
Jun20-08, 09:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
You can fly in a tornado.
OAQfirst
Jun20-08, 09:50 PM
P: 65
Just remember that originally, Superman could not fly as we see him do now, but only "leap tall buildings in a single bound."

But what I would like to know is if anyone has any idea how he shaves?
DaveC426913
Jun20-08, 09:53 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by OAQfirst View Post
Just remember that originally, Superman could not fly as we see him do now, but only "leap tall buildings in a single bound."

Heat vision and a mirror?
OAQfirst
Jun20-08, 10:05 PM
P: 65
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Heat vision and a mirror?
If he can cut/singe his own hair with that, makes me wonder how his eyelids fare during excitable dreams/nightmares...
Danger
Jun20-08, 11:07 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by OAQfirst View Post
One issue of the comic that I have does indeed use that very approach that Dave suggested, with the mirror. In another, earlier, issue, it was stated that his hair and nails don't grow under a yellow sun.
TheStatutoryApe
Jun20-08, 11:27 PM
P: 1,550
Quote Quote by G01 View Post

And don't drop acid.
B. Elliott
Jun20-08, 11:34 PM
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
And don't drop acid.
First thing that popped into my head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zgIzqgxFU

Register to reply