Velocity and the human experience

In summary: sticking in our consciousness like it does with things like heights, we don't realize how fast we are going most of the time.
jeanpinto844
TL;DR Summary: Velocity and the human experience

As I was walking into work this morning I looked up and noticed an airplane flying overhead. Airplanes travel at speeds of up to 550 miles per hour while in flight. This question is really less about physics and more about our everyday experience with speeds. We experience speeds of up to 70-80 miles per hour perhaps in a car, on a train, or on a roller coaster as well as seeing objects travel at these speeds and yet when we look at an airplane it sure doesn't seem like it's going 550 miles per hour.

Do you think that physiologically, there is an upper limit to how we perceive high speeds? In other words, once we reach say, 150 miles per hour, any speed beyond that doesn't seem any faster so 500 miles per hour is the same experience as 150 miles per hour.

My apologies if this question seems out of place but I thought it to be interesting. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are very bad at judging speeds of distant objects. Particularly something like an aircraft on a featureless blue background, it's incredibly easy to see it as a small thing drifting along little more than just out of reach, and not a really large thing racing along several miles away. I guarantee that if it passes over you at 500mph you'll notice its speed is high! There are quite a few videos of low passes overhead by fighter aircraft on YouTube if you look. Or videos of carrier operations - the speed at which a large hunk of metal on the deck turns into a speck in the distance is quite remarkable.

Likes BillTre and pinball1970
jeanpinto844 said:
TL;DR Summary: Velocity and the human experience

As I was walking into work this morning I looked up and noticed an airplane flying overhead. Airplanes travel at speeds of up to 550 miles per hour while in flight. This question is really less about physics and more about our everyday experience with speeds. We experience speeds of up to 70-80 miles per hour perhaps in a car, on a train, or on a roller coaster as well as seeing objects travel at these speeds and yet when we look at an airplane it sure doesn't seem like it's going 550 miles per hour.

Do you think that physiologically, there is an upper limit to how we perceive high speeds? In other words, once we reach say, 150 miles per hour, any speed beyond that doesn't seem any faster so 500 miles per hour is the same experience as 150 miles per hour.

My apologies if this question seems out of place but I thought it to be interesting. Thank you.
It is interesting and is a question of biology as much as physics.

We evolved to interact our visual environment at shorter distances that included lions, mates, rivals, prey and a nearby place to hide not high-speed planes.

It is difficult to judge velocities and sizes at that distance unless you are trained, so our brains are easily fooled as Ibix said.

A good example is a wind turbine, have you ever been up close to one? Shocked at the size? Speed of the blades?

They look a lot smaller and slower from a distance, smaller and slower than you guessed till you are close.

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
jeanpinto844 said:
No. There are often fighter jets practising in various mountain locations in the UK. I would estimate their ground speed at ##500 m/s## , which is over ##1,000## mph. They are definitely going faster than ##150## mph.

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
I've seen little evidence that humans are practically competent at evaluating risks/consequences of speed, and that includes myself, a former drag racer, except in retrospect, or after large amounts of experience.

Simplistically, if you hang over a ledge, 25 feet (7-8m) over the ground, you have a risk of a ~30mph collision with the ground. Many people are afraid, or at least wary, of heights, even 5-10' (1.5-4m) or so. We (humans) are pretty good at understanding this risk, and tend to avoid it, and most don't hang off ledges 25' above the ground.

Yet, people will drive down the interstate at 75mph...often while doing things that could cause them to crash.

Neglecting airbags, restraints, and modern vehicle controls, the risk for harm when at highway speeds can be a factor of 6 greater than hanging off a second story balcony. Yet, most, like me, fear the balcony.

Likes russ_watters
ChemAir said:
et, people will drive down the interstate at 75mph...often while doing things that could cause them to crash.
Because the speed is not being experienced 'up close'.
Take the doors off and the floor board so people could see the ground up close move, and they would, perhaps, (not everyone would be as scared to poop), reduce the speed to a more 'comfortable' level.
Being enclosed within does not render how fast everything is moving by.

In a analogous situation, most people I presume, can walk on a chalk line on a floor with little apprehension.
Move the line up a bit, such as on a rail that a train follows, a mere distance of 5 or so inches, and the walk becomes less effortless - arms waving and feet feeling for support.
Or peer out full size window on a tall building - no problem. Remove the window glass and few would come up to inches of the ledge.

256bits said:
Because the speed is not being experienced 'up close'.

Or because it is not being felt/perceived.
The presence of safety equipment to moderate the perception of speed, reduce vibration, etc., definitely hides some of this.

May be part of why speed perception in a boat, or an open cart, seems so much greater than in an enclosed car, or why a rattle-trap vehicle at 30mph is far scarier than a silent car at 50.

Also, probably why wooden roller coasters can be as scary as they are.

Likes 256bits

1. What is velocity and how does it relate to the human experience?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. In the context of the human experience, velocity plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It affects how quickly we can travel from one place to another, how fast we can react to a situation, and even how we perceive time.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance an object has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

3. What factors can affect an individual's velocity?

Several factors can affect an individual's velocity, including their physical abilities, external forces such as gravity or air resistance, and the environment they are in. For example, a person's velocity will be different when running on a flat surface compared to running uphill.

4. How does velocity impact our perception of the world?

Velocity can greatly impact our perception of the world. Our brains use velocity to help us navigate and make sense of our surroundings. For example, when driving in a car, our brain uses the velocity of objects passing by to determine our speed and direction of travel.

5. Can velocity be controlled or changed?

Velocity can be controlled or changed through various means, such as physical exertion or external forces. However, it is also important to note that there are limits to how much velocity can be changed, as it is ultimately determined by the laws of physics.