Register to reply

Why we need resistors

by Jin S Zhang
Tags: resistors
Share this thread:
Jin S Zhang
Jun26-08, 06:01 PM
P: 20
Why do we need resistors in every electronic circuit?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
mgb_phys
Jun26-08, 06:07 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
You don't need them in EVERY electrical circuit, but since they change the voltage/current and electrical circuits are all about voltage and current they do tend to come in handy!
Jin S Zhang
Jun26-08, 07:02 PM
P: 20
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
You don't need them in EVERY electrical circuit, but since they change the voltage/current and electrical circuits are all about voltage and current they do tend to come in handy!
Why we don't need them in every circuit? How are they handy? What would happen if there was no resistors in some circuit?

Please explain me coz I know nothing about electricity and just started learning.

berkeman
Jun26-08, 07:40 PM
Mentor
P: 41,143
Why we need resistors

Quote Quote by Jin S Zhang View Post
Why we don't need them in every circuit? How are they handy? What would happen if there was no resistors in some circuit?

Please explain me coz I know nothing about electricity and just started learning.
Resistors are used for many things, often for controlling impedances and dividing down voltages. It would be best if you read some about resistors, and came back with specific questions if you still have them. Here's a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

Also, if you can find or buy a copy of The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill, that book will take you from the very basics of resistors all the way through an introduction to basic electronic circuits.
waht
Jun26-08, 11:04 PM
P: 1,636
If you connect an LED diode to 12 V it will burn out quickly. But if you connect a proper resistor to the LED, then it will limit the current to the diode and it will not burn out.
envytea
Jun27-08, 09:18 AM
P: 5
JSZ,
Please check out an article (WikiPedia) on Ohm's Law. This is probably the very best place to start learning about electronic circuits. There is a well-defined relation between a circuit's voltage, current and resistance. All of these terms have their own definitions that will make sense in time, but check out Ohm's Law first.

Resistance is a property of 'work' having been done in a circuit. Not only do resistors make resistance, but motors, lights, induction coils, diodes, wires themselves, and many others create resistance too.

I am glad that you are asking this question. I assure you that you will soon discover some really amazing things about our world. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Redbelly98
Jun27-08, 11:36 AM
Mentor
P: 12,071
The very first thing to learn is what voltage and current are. If you don't know that, nothing else will make any sense.

After that, resistance is the next basic concept usually taught in electronics.

Register to reply