Calculate the amount of work done on the box?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if someone is doing work on an object, how to calculate the amount of work done, and how to express the work in units. It is determined that work is done when the object moves, the formula for work is force multiplied by displacement, and the units for work are expressed as Newton*meter (Nm) or Joules (J). The conversation concludes with the confirmation that the answers provided are correct and the individual expressing a desire to complete the work early to spend time with their family.
jjl15hid

Homework Statement

1)the illustration shows beatricce pushing on a heavy box.beatrice pushes with a force of 40n.how can you determine if beatrice is doing work on the box?

2)beatrice pushes the box 2m to the right.what formula should yo useto caculate the amount of work done on the box?

3)how much work does beatrice do pushing the box?

Homework Equations

f=40n , work=force*distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
jjl15hid said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Would have been nice to see this

Look at the defintion of work

my attempt at work was 40*2=80 that's the answer i would put so is it right an how would i express that number

an what do they mean by this
when force is measured in Newtons and distance is measured in meters the si unit of work is Newton*meter(n*m)..im so confused

jjl15hid said:
my attempt at work was 40*2=80 that's the answer i would put so is it right an how would i express that number

an what do they mean by this
when force is measured in Newtons and distance is measured in meters the si unit of work is Newton*meter(n*m)..im so confused

Well 80 is correct for the 2nd part.

Force is in Newtons (N)
displacement (distance in a straight line) is in metres(m)

Work=Force*displacement

so your units would be the product of the unit of force and distance which is Nm and work usually expressed in Joules (J) . So you can say that the 1J=1Nm

i kinda want to be on the safe side so i can answer the first question like this.
1)Well i could tell if beatrice is doing work based on if the object moves an if it moves ,how much it moves.
2)i should use the formula work=force*movement
3)beatrice does 80(j) work on the box.

Are these answeres correct an is there a way i can express this better .this is a summer packett an i really want to make a good second impression on my physics teachers

jjl15hid said:
i kinda want to be on the safe side so i can answer the first question like this.
1)Well i could tell if beatrice is doing work based on if the object moves an if it moves ,how much it moves.
2)i should use the formula work=force*movement
3)beatrice does 80(j) work on the box.

Are these answeres correct an is there a way i can express this better .this is a summer packett an i really want to make a good second impression on my physics teachers

Well 2 and 3 are correct (but write work=Force*displacement)

For 1 it's just the fact that the force exerted on the box moves its point of application, so work is done.

thanks man for the help...im trying to get this wrk done early

1. How do you calculate the amount of work done on the box?

The amount of work done on the box is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the box by the distance the box is moved in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F*d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). Other commonly used units include Newton-meters (N*m) and foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. Can the amount of work done on the box be negative?

Yes, the amount of work done on the box can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to the box is in the opposite direction of the displacement. Negative work results in the object losing energy.

4. How does the angle of the force affect the amount of work done on the box?

The angle of the force affects the amount of work done on the box by changing the component of the force that is in the direction of the displacement. The work done is the product of the force and the component of the force in the direction of the displacement.

5. Can the distance traveled be greater than the displacement in calculating work?

No, the distance traveled cannot be greater than the displacement when calculating work. Work is only done in the direction of the displacement, so any distance traveled in other directions does not contribute to the amount of work done on the box.