Register to reply

Fruits make you fat?

by chound
Tags: fruits
Share this thread:
chound
Sep24-08, 11:59 AM
P: 239
I read in Harper's Illustrated Biochemistry, that since fruits have fructose and fructose isn't all that well regulated as glucose metabolism they can make you overweight!
Are there any studies that prove/disprove these?

For example, fructose can be metabolised without regulation and form excess ATP, NADH etc which favour lipogenesis.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Three-quarters of depressed cancer patients do not receive treatment for depression, new approach could transform care
Better classification to improve treatments for breast cancer
Oral contraceptive equal to antibiotics for acne care
chroot
Sep24-08, 01:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
The slight difference in metabolism of different sugars is hardly relevant to weight loss. If you eat too many calories, you'll get fat. If you eat fewer, you won't.

- Warren
jim mcnamara
Sep25-08, 04:25 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
Was the section you read discussing glycemic index of foods? Consumption of foods high in high fructose corn syrup increase insulin production, which over very long periods of time may lead to among other things, obesity.

Warren is right though. In a normal diet fruits are actually a very good thing. IT's the junk food that is the problem. Have not read your source, but it sounds like somebody made a poor choice for an analogy

Borek
Sep25-08, 04:43 AM
Admin
P: 23,572
Fruits make you fat?

In fact even junk food is not necesarilly a problem, as long as it is consumed in a reasonable quantities.
gravenewworld
Sep25-08, 06:19 PM
P: 1,408
It is all about calorie intake. If you eat 2 dozen oranges everyday you will get fat. You can eat McDonald's everyday and not get fat. It all depends on calories in vs. calories out. Nutrition wise, it is a much different story.
Greg Bernhardt
Sep25-08, 06:22 PM
Admin
P: 9,529
Quote Quote by gravenewworld View Post
It is all about calorie intake. If you eat 2 dozen oranges everyday you will get fat. You can eat McDonald's everyday and not get fat. It all depends on calories in vs. calories out. Nutrition wise, it is a much different story.
Let's be clear, it's not intake, rather Net Intake (Gross Intake - Energy Spent). Afterall Michael Phelps ate 10,000 calories a day and he has a 6 pack.
gravenewworld
Sep25-08, 07:02 PM
P: 1,408
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Let's be clear, it's not intake, rather Net Intake (Gross Intake - Energy Spent). Afterall Michael Phelps ate 10,000 calories a day and he has a 6 pack.
LIke I said, calories in vs. calories out
chound
Sep26-08, 11:53 AM
P: 239
But if a person ate lots of fruits, due to rapid accumulation of ATP, NADH the body will switch to lipogenesis. This will happen even before the utilsation of that ATP

However if a person took more glucose, due to regulation of glucose utilisation, the rate of formation of ATP will be slower and hence substantial amounts may get burned off!
Ouabache
Oct27-08, 01:51 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,326
By fruit do you mean dessert fruit or botanical fruit? If you actually mean the latter, that includes pumpkin, eggplant, tomato, aubergine, summer squash, legumes, courgette, etc.. Many of these are higher in starch, than oranges, cranberries, plums, & apples; and can increase weight gain. In general, it still comes down to whether you are burning more calories than consuming.
Proton Soup
Oct29-08, 12:35 AM
P: 1,070
fruit in general has very small amounts of fructose. also, some fruits are very low in calories, especially berries such as blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc. berries are an excellent diet food.

if a Biochemistry book is warning people not to eat fruit, you should burn that book. that's about as nutty as some bodybuilders and their "clean" eating religion.
Cadderiac
Jan9-12, 05:12 PM
P: 4
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
The slight difference in metabolism of different sugars is hardly relevant to weight loss. If you eat too many calories, you'll get fat. If you eat fewer, you won't.

- Warren
Actually, Warren, you're incorrect.

First, with the calories: It depends on the type of calories you're eating and the amount of calories you're burning per day. For example, I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and I would do 10,000 calorie a day bulking phases. My calories were broken down to 45% carbs, 40% protein, and 15% fat. I reached a top weight of 235 pounds at 9% body fat. I was "obese" by BMI standards. Obese with abs. Pretty hilarious. BMI is so obsolete it's ridiculous.

Second, with types of sugars: Fructose (the natural sugar found in fruits) refills your liver glycogen, which aids in the transportation of nutrients throughout the body (which doesn't take much fructose at all). Consuming too much fructose will overflow your liver glycogen and makes any carb taken in afterwards store immediately as fat instead of being used by the body as energy until the overflow subsides. This is where fruit can make you fat.

Now, if you're just talking about weight loss, that's easy. You can eat whatever the hell you want and still lose weight. You could eat a bucket of crisco and lose weight as long as you burn more calories than what you take in. Weight loss and fitness and nutrition are two very different industries. The weight loss industry is for idiots who have an obsession with a number on a scale that in no way relects how good they feel or how much energy they have. BMI is how people in the weight loss industry grade themselves. The fitness industry is about composition. Lean mass vs. fat. Here it doesn't matter what the scale tells you. It's all about what the caliper tells you and how much energy you have/how good you feel physically (and, in turn, mentally). The popularity of the weight loss industry far exceeds that of the fitness industry because people are always looking for an easier way and are afraid to work hard to achieve something.
Evo
Jan9-12, 05:30 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
Quote Quote by Cadderiac View Post
Actually, Warren, you're incorrect.
Please post the scientific peer reviewed study in a mainstream journal that says that if you eat more calories than you burn that you won't gain weight.

Also, please pay attention to the post dates, this thread has been dead for over 4 years.
Cadderiac
Jan9-12, 06:43 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Please post the scientific peer reviewed study in a mainstream journal that says that if you eat more calories than you burn that you won't gain weight.

Also, please pay attention to the post dates, this thread has been dead for over 4 years.
Oh you'll most certainly gain weight. You said "get fat." All dependant on types of calories and fitness rigor.

I did notice the post dates. I figured I'd try to bring it back to life. Looks like I may be succeeding.
Cadderiac
Jan9-12, 06:45 PM
Sorry, Warren said that. Not you. My mistake.
Evo
Jan9-12, 07:41 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
Quote Quote by Cadderiac View Post
Oh you'll most certainly gain weight. You said "get fat." All dependant on types of calories and fitness rigor.

I did notice the post dates. I figured I'd try to bring it back to life. Looks like I may be succeeding.
Ok, I'll let you slide, but I think chroot meant gaining weight. Others in the thread were using getting fat when they meant gaining weight.
Cadderiac
Jan10-12, 10:45 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Ok, I'll let you slide, but I think chroot meant gaining weight. Others in the thread were using getting fat when they meant gaining weight.
Haha thanks. Yeah, I figured. Funny how "weight" automatically means "fat" to most people.
atyy
Jan10-12, 10:53 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,602
@Cadderiac, since a bodybuilder does gain weight, although his body fat as a percentage of weight may drop, could he also gain fat in absolute terms eventually?
atyy
Jan12-12, 08:56 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,602
Ok, let's say an average man starts off at 70 kg, 15 % body fat by weight would be 10.5 kg of fat.

If he becomes a bodybuilder with 8% body fat. To have at least 10.5 kg of fat, he would have to weigh x kg: 8x/100 = 10.5 => x=10.5*100/8 = 131.25 kg.

That's considerably heavier than Wikipedia's best guess for Arnold's weight of 120 kg. So it seems it could indeed be hard to gain fat by eating more calories of the right type and with the appropriate training.

Register to reply