Register to reply

Difference between compressible and incompressible flow

Share this thread:
mahaesh
Sep29-08, 04:32 AM
P: 12
Hi all
I am really confused with what is the actual meaning of compressible and incompressible flow?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
FredGarvin
Sep29-08, 06:31 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
In a nutshell: Does density of the media change significantly?
tiny-tim
Sep29-08, 06:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi mahaesh!

Incompressible flow is flow whose density is constant along any streamline.

For details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressible_flow

mahaesh
Sep29-08, 07:28 AM
P: 12
Difference between compressible and incompressible flow

Hi tiny-tim
Thanks for your reply but i am confusing because combustion is a compressible flow due to variation in density but in Computational Fluid dynamics analysis combustion treated as incompressible flow Why?
FredGarvin
Sep29-08, 05:49 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
I am not familiar with what exactly you are doing, but in a constant flow process, like in a jet engine, there is actually a very small pressure drop across the burner (in a well designed burner). I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with what you are looking at.
Topher925
Sep29-08, 06:47 PM
P: 1,672
Quote Quote by mahaesh View Post
Hi tiny-tim
Thanks for your reply but i am confusing because combustion is a compressible flow due to variation in density but in Computational Fluid dynamics analysis combustion treated as incompressible flow Why?
I don't know why, since it obviously isn't an incompressible substance and I would assume any CFD model that assumed incompressible flow would be very inaccurate. The only exception would be if you are considering something like flame dispersion in the combustion chamber over a small period of time and are assuming the piston to have such small travel in that period that the change in volume can be neglected.

Register to reply