Several Derivative Problems

• Thread starter Neil6790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, Neil found problems 1-4. He was able to solve them with help from his roommate. For problem 5, he was not able to solve the last part of the 5th question.
Neil6790
Hello there.

I actually need help with several problems

1) If f(x)=4x^2-4 x+3, then f'(5) = 36
Use this to find the equation of the tangent line to the parabola y=4x^2-4x+3 at the point (5,83). The equation of this tangent line can be written in the form y = mx+b where
m= ?
and
b= ?

2)For what values of x does the graph of f(x)=6x^3-9x^2-216x+18 have a horizontal tangent?

3)f(x) = x^{8}h(x)
h(-1) = 5
h'(-1) = 8

I need to calculate f'(-1)

4) A particle moves along a straight line with equation of motion s=t^{3}-3t^{2} Find the value of t (other than 0 ) at which the acceleration is equal to zero.

5) A particle moves along a straight line and its position at time t is given by s(t)=2t^3-15t^2+24t where s is measured in feet and t in seconds.
Find the velocity (in ft/sec) of the particle at time t=0

The particle stops moving (i.e. is in a rest) twice, once when t=A and again when t=B where A < B
A=?
B=?
What is the position of the particle at time 10?
What is the TOTAL distance the particle travels between time 0 and time 10?

Thank you,
Neil

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Neil! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

I did problems 1-4. I was able to get help from my roommate and we worked it out. For problem 5 i was able to get the first 4 questions. The 5th part of the 5th question is: what is the TOTAL distance the particle travels between time 0 and time 10? i tried adding all the values of t(0) to t(10) and its not correct. I have no idea what to do.

Well, if the particle were always moving to the right, you would just subtract the starting position from the final position, right?

And, if the particle were always moving to the left, you would subtract the final position from the starting position (because "total distance" is always positive).

So the problem really is to separate "moving to the right" (positive velocity) from "moving to the left (negative velocity). Do you see that the change MUST occur where the velocity is 0? For what values of t is v= s'(t) equal to 0?

1 and 4

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It can also be thought of as the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

2. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using various differentiation rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule.

3. What is the purpose of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives is useful in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It is also essential in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum of a function.

4. Can derivatives be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, derivatives are used to calculate velocity and acceleration, while in economics, they are used to analyze demand and supply curves.

5. What are some common derivative problems in calculus?

Some common derivative problems in calculus include finding the derivative of a polynomial, trigonometric, or exponential function, as well as finding the critical points and inflection points of a function. Other problems may involve optimization, related rates, and curve sketching.