Instantaneous Power (Mastering Physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the instantaneous power P created by a force F of magnitude 600 N pulling a sled with acceleration 0.08 m/s2 for 1 minute. The given formula for power is P = Fv and the velocity after 10s is found to be 0.8 m/s. The equation for instantaneous power is P = Fv, and this can be used to solve for the instantaneous power by using the instantaneous force and velocity.
ren0x

Homework Statement

Let us now consider several questions that include numeric data.

A sled is being pulled along a horizontal surface by a horizontal force F of magnitude 600 N. Starting from rest, the sled speeds up with acceleration 0.08 m/s2 for 1 minute.

Find the instantaneous power P created by force F at t=10s.

Express your answer in watts to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

Pavg = [tex]\frac{\Delta W}{\Delta t}[/tex]
P = [tex]\frac{dW}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved for velocity after 10s.

v = 0.8 m/s

I'm stuck at where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not forget that Power can also be expressed as P = Fv

Mattowander said:
Do not forget that Power can also be expressed as P = Fv

If I'm not mistaken, that is the formula for Pavg. I am trying to solve for the instantaneous power, unless you know something I don't.

1. What is instantaneous power?

Instantaneous power is the amount of energy transferred per unit time. It is the rate at which work is done or energy is converted.

2. How is instantaneous power different from average power?

Instantaneous power is measured at a specific moment in time, while average power is calculated over a period of time. Instantaneous power takes into account any fluctuations in power, while average power smooths out these fluctuations.

3. How is instantaneous power related to voltage and current?

Instantaneous power is equal to the product of voltage and current at a specific time. This relationship is described by the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

4. How do you calculate instantaneous power?

To calculate instantaneous power, you can use the equation P = VI, where V is the voltage and I is the current at a specific moment in time. Alternatively, you can use the equation P = I^2R, where R is the resistance in the circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of instantaneous power?

Instantaneous power is used in various electrical systems, such as power grids and electronic devices. It is also important in understanding the behavior of motors, generators, and other electrical equipment. In addition, measuring instantaneous power can help in optimizing energy usage and efficiency in various industries.