Potential inside of chrged non-conductive sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential at a distance r from the center of a non-conducting spherical volume with uniform charge distribution of radius R. The formula is derived using Gauss' law and integrating for electric fields both inside and outside the sphere. The final formula is V=q(3*R^2-r^2)/(8*PI*e0*R^3). Clarification is also given on the direction and limits of integration.
anizet

Homework Statement

A charge is distributed uniformly throughout a non-conducting spherical volume of radius R. Show, that the potential at distance r from center (r<R) is given by:
V=q(3*R^2-r^2)/(8*PI*e0*R^3)

Homework Equations

From Gauss low:
E(r)=q*r/(4*PI*e0*R^3)

E(r)=-grad(V(r))

The Attempt at a Solution

After integrating I got:
V(r)=-q*R^2/(8*PI*e0*R^3)
which is in fact stupid, as it yields V=0 at r=0. So probably I integrated with wrong limits.
How to obtain correct formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a small mistake in typing the formula on V that I obtained. It should be:
V(r)=-q*r^2/(8*PI*e0*R^3)

And R = radius of gaussian surface
r = radius of your sphere?
please be precise.

Never mind, I've solved it.

You have two different functions for the electric field.
If r > R, [tex] E = \frac{kQ}{r^2} [/tex] where [tex] k = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} [/tex]
if r < R, [tex] E = \frac{kQr}{R^3} [/tex]

so V of r < R will be the negative integral of r > R from R to infinity plus the negative integral of r < R from r to R.

[tex] V = - \int^{R}_{\infty} \frac{kQ}{r^2}dr - \int^{r}_{R} \frac{kQr}{R^3}dr [/tex]

[tex] V = \frac{kR}{R} - \frac{kR}{2R^3}(r^2-R^2) = \frac{2kQR^2}{2R^3} + \frac{kQR^2}{2R^3} - \frac{kQr^2}{2R^3} = \frac{kQ(3R^2 - r^2)}{2R^3} [/tex]

subbing k back in = [tex] \frac{Q(3R^2 - r^2)}{8 \pi \epsilon_0 R^3} [/tex]

phew.. Hope there are no errors in that haha. I have been up for far too many consecutive hours..

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the reply!
I have just one more question: why should I integrate from infinity to zero, not from zero to infinity?

Sorry again: from inf to r not from r to inf, I meant.

One more correction:
Why should I integrate from infinity to r not from zero to r?
I hope, now it's ok...

because if we integrated from zero to r, that would give us V for inside the gaussian surface as well as inside the sphere.

Sorry for the late reply I was away for sometime.

What is the potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere?

The potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere is dependent on the charge density and the distance from the center of the sphere. The potential decreases as the distance from the center increases.

How is the potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere calculated?

The potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/R, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and R is the distance from the center of the sphere.

What happens to the potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere if the charge is increased?

If the charge is increased, the potential inside of the sphere will also increase. This is because the potential is directly proportional to the charge, according to the equation V = kQ/R.

How does the potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere compare to the potential outside of the sphere?

The potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere is always lower than the potential outside of the sphere. This is because the electric field inside the sphere is zero, while the electric field outside the sphere is non-zero.

Can the potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere ever be negative?

No, the potential inside of a charged non-conductive sphere can never be negative. This is because the potential is always positive due to the nature of the electric field inside the sphere being zero.