Heating oil and outside temperature

In summary: Russ shared that in a typical home, about 25% of the heat loss is due to windows.In summary, Russ shared that if your thermostat is set at 60 degrees, your furnace will turn on each time the temperature dips below 60 degrees. If your thermostat is set at 68 degrees, the furnace will only turn on when the temperature dips below 68 degrees. There is no savings if the house initially reaches the set temperature.
platina
Let's say it is 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

If I have my thermostat set at 60 F, then each time my house dips below that temperature, my furnace should kick on and reheat it to 60 F. And the cycle continues...

If I have my thermostat set at 68 F, then the scenario remains the same, it's just that the furnace kicks on below 68.

Does the furnace burn more heating oil to keep the house at 68 than it does at 60?

Does a house at 68 F lose heat to the 20 F surroundings at a greater rate than does the house set at 60 F?

If not, is there any savings...that is, after the house initially reaches the set temperature?

Science news on Phys.org
Your furnace is trying to keep the house above the outside temperature.
The heat loss rate depends on the temperature difference - so the power you need to keep a stable inside temperature is more for a higher temperature, Similairly the rate of heat loss when the furnace turns off is higher for a higher temperature difference.

To be more specific, it is directly proportional to temperature difference. So on a 20 degree day, the difference between a 60 and 68 degree setpoint is:

1-(60-20)/(68-20)=17%

Russ posted one key fact, the other is that heat loss depends on conduction, convection and radiation. Convection means air circulation losses...on a windy day depending on how air-tight a home is, heat loss can increase substantially due to cold air infiltration...say 20% so fixing cracks, crevices,leaks, can make a big difference.

There are standard HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning formulas...and "R" is a standard insulation measure; the higher R the slower heat is lost and the lower are heating and cooling costs...so, for example, different windows have different R values indicating how well they insulate. Windows are a major source of heat loss in many homes in cold climates...and heat gain via sun can add to air conditioning costs in summer...

What is heating oil?

Heating oil is a type of fuel used to heat homes and buildings. It is a liquid petroleum product that is similar to diesel fuel.

How does heating oil work?

Heating oil is typically stored in a tank and then pumped into a furnace or boiler. The furnace or boiler then burns the oil to produce heat, which is distributed throughout the building through a system of pipes or ducts.

How does outside temperature affect heating oil?

The colder the outside temperature, the more heating oil will be needed to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature. This is because the furnace or boiler will have to work harder to heat the building when the outside temperature is lower.

At what temperature does heating oil freeze?

Heating oil has a freezing point of around -40°F. However, it can become thicker and more difficult to pump at lower temperatures, which can cause issues with the heating system.

Can heating oil be used in any climate?

Heating oil can be used in most climates, but it is more commonly used in colder regions where natural gas may not be available. In extremely cold climates, additional measures may need to be taken to prevent the oil from freezing and ensure efficient heating.