Fringe spacing for a diffraction grading (wave optics)

In summary, a diffraction grating with a spacing of 550 lines/mm is illuminated by light with a wavelength of 550nm. When a 3.1m-wide screen is located 2.1m behind the grating, the number of bright fringes seen is 7, including the central maximum. This is calculated using the formula d*sinθ = mλ, where d is the grating spacing, θ is the angle at the edge of the screen, m is the diffraction order, and λ is the wavelength. The angle must be strictly less than π/2 in order to produce a visible bright fringe on the screen.
spaghed87

Homework Statement

A 550 lines/mm diffraction grating is illuminated by light of wavelength 550nm.
How many bright fringes are seen on a 3.1-m-wide screen located 2.1m behind the grating?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Y = [tex]\lambda[/tex]*L/d

where Y is equal to the fringe spacing... lamda is equal to the wavelength. d is equal to the separation... which is 0.001m/550lines in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did [tex]\Delta[/tex]Y=(550*10^-9m*2.1m)/(~1.81*10-6) = 0.63525m

So then the width of 3.1m divided by the fringe spacing ~1.81*10^-6 gives me 4.87 which is unitless because it is n and equal to the number of gaps... now there are two fringes per gap so shouldn't the answer be 6? well... the last one is cut off so i can't round... so that would be 5 right? but mastering physics (my online homework website) still says I'm wrong. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
ΔY = λ L/d

I looks like a small-angle approximation for a trig term was used here. But the screen subtends a rather large angle.

Perhaps using the exact formula, with the trig term, would work better.

I saw another thread that read:

"d*sin theta = mt
t = wavelength

m = d*sin theta/t
I don't have the angle so I just omitted it assuming it would be very small and I did...
m = d/t = 3.4 so 3 diffraction orders

Is this correct? "

I also got around ~3 diffraction orders for my problem which turned out to be the number of bright fringes. Is that really true that the diffraction order is equal to the number of bright fringes in this case? I thought you had to add one to acount for the m=0 central maximum or something... :confused:

Yes, the number of diffraction orders is the same as the number of bright fringes.

The angle is not small and must be accounted for. And what you actually did was take sin(theta)=1, for which the angle would be 90 degrees.

And yes, you need to include the m=0 central maximum, as well as negative values of m.

For theta, use the angle at the edge of the screen.

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to tack onto it. I just did this problem for my physics course, except my problem had a wavelength of 530nm.

The number of bright fringes on the screen is calculated from the formula:

d*sinθ = mλ (distance between successive slits = sine of angular distance to bright fringe m times wavelength)

m = (d*sinθ)/λ

This is a maximum when θ = π/2 (sinθ = 1)

So, m = d/λ = 1.67e-6m/530e-9m = 3.15 (round to nearest integer) = 3.

This gives you the number of bright fringes above the central maximum. Double that to get the number of bright fringes on both sides of the central maximum and you now have 6 bright fringes. Add one to that (for the m = 0 [central] maximum) and you get an answer of 7 bright fringes.

My question, though, is how would an angle of π/2 even show anything on the viewing screen? Wouldn't an angle of π/2 be parallel to the screen, and thus the bright fringe at that angle would never be able to be physically located on the screen?

JJBladester said:
My question, though, is how would an angle of π/2 even show anything on the viewing screen? Wouldn't an angle of π/2 be parallel to the screen, and thus the bright fringe at that angle would never be able to be physically located on the screen?

True. θ must be strictly less than π/2, not ≤ π/2.

But this does not change the result, which really says that m<3.15. So m=3 is still the largest that m can be.

Excellent... Thanks for making sense of that for me!

1. What is the definition of fringe spacing for a diffraction grading?

The fringe spacing for a diffraction grading is the distance between two adjacent bright or dark fringes in the diffraction pattern produced by the grating. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or millimeters.

2. How is the fringe spacing related to the wavelength of light used in the experiment?

The fringe spacing is directly proportional to the wavelength of light used in the experiment. This means that as the wavelength increases, the fringe spacing also increases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the fringe spacing in a diffraction grading experiment?

The main factors that affect the fringe spacing in a diffraction grading experiment are the wavelength of light, the distance between the grating and the screen, and the spacing between the slits or lines on the grating. Additionally, the angle of incidence of the light and the refractive index of the medium surrounding the grating can also affect the fringe spacing.

4. Can the fringe spacing be calculated or predicted?

Yes, the fringe spacing can be calculated or predicted using the grating equation, which relates the wavelength of light, the spacing between the slits or lines on the grating, and the angle of incidence to the fringe spacing in the diffraction pattern. However, in real experiments, the fringe spacing may deviate slightly from the predicted value due to various factors.

5. How is the fringe spacing used in practical applications?

The fringe spacing in diffraction gratings is used in various practical applications, such as spectroscopy, where it is used to determine the wavelength of light and the composition of substances. It is also used in optical devices such as spectrometers and laser systems to manipulate and analyze light. In addition, the measurement of fringe spacing can provide valuable information about the properties of the grating itself, such as the spacing between the slits or lines on the grating.