Register to reply

Quantum! Particle in a box problem! HELP

by krugertown
Tags: quantum
Share this thread:
krugertown
Nov4-08, 07:15 PM
P: 9
An electron in a rigid box absorbs light. The longest wavelength in the absorbstion spectrum is 600nm. How long is the box?

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = c/f
E=hf
E= n2*((h2)/(8mL2))

so i figured out E from the wavelength to frequency formula and the E=hf. then i just Solved for L. i used n=1 and i keep getting the wrong answer. Should n be a different value?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
cepheid
Nov4-08, 07:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
The longest wavelength of light consists of the lowest energy photons. The lowest energy photon corresponds to the *smallest* change in the electron's energy as a result of it making a transition from a lower level to a higher level. CHANGE is the operative word here. When the electron absorbs a photon, it gains energy and goes from one of the lower energy states of the particle in a box to one of the higher energy such states. Therefore, rather than looking at only one of the particle in a box energies (i.e. only one value of n), you really need to be comparing two different energies, taking the difference between them. What is the smallest such difference? What transition corresponds to the smallest energy change, and therefore would have to have been caused by the lowest energy photon?

Register to reply