Quantum Physics (Electron in infinite deep quantum well)

In summary, the conversation discusses the wavelength of an electron and the change in energy from its initial state to its final state. The correct equation for the energy of a well is mentioned, and the calculation for the wavelength is provided using this equation. The conversation also mentions the use of a calculator to solve the equation.
jisbon
Homework Statement
An electron is trapped in the ground state in an infinitely deep quantum well With
a width of 2 nm. After absorbing a photon, the electron transits to an excited state
with a de Broglie wavelength of 1 nm.
(i) Find the quantum number of the excited state.
(ii) Sketch the wave function of the excited state.
(iii) Determine the wavelength of the incident photon.
Relevant Equations
E= h^2n^2/8mL
Wavelength = 2L/n
Hi all, below is my attempt. Pretty new at quantum so do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

i) Since 1nm is the wavelength of the electron, Wavelength = 1nm, 1nm=2(2nm)/n , n=4?

ii) -

iii) From n=1 to n=4,
Change in E = 15h^2/8mL where m is the mass of electron and L is 2nm?
From the change in E I can find the wavelength using E(change) = 1240/nm ?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Relevant Equations:: E= h^2n^2/8mL

Change in E = 15h^2/8mL
Are you sure about that equation?

PeroK said:
Are you sure about that equation?
Since n=4 in the final state and n=1 in its initial state, wouldn't the change be 16h^2/8mL - h^2/8mL = 15h^2/8mL?

jisbon said:
Since n=4 in the final state and n=1 in its initial state, wouldn't the change be 16h^2/8mL - h^2/8mL = 15h^2/8mL?
The ##\frac {15} 8## is correct, but the equation is wrong otherwise.

So I'm using the wrong equation to solve part b?
Is part a correct though?

jisbon said:
So I'm using the wrong equation to solve part b?
Is part a correct though?
The energy of a well is:
$$\frac{n^2h^2}{8mL^2}$$

Oh.. Missed out the L.. So..
##\frac{15h^2}{8(9.1*10^{-31})(2*10^{-9})^2} = \frac{1240}{wavelength (nm)}##?

jisbon said:
Oh.. Missed out the L.. So..
##\frac{15h^2}{8(9.1*10^{-31})(2*10^{-9})^2} = \frac{1240}{wavelength (nm)}##?
I would write:
$$\lambda = \frac{8mcL^2}{15h}$$
And then put that in a calculator.

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other at the quantum level, which is different from the classical physics that governs the behavior of larger objects.

What is an electron in an infinite deep quantum well?

An electron in an infinite deep quantum well refers to a theoretical model in quantum physics where an electron is confined within a potential well that has infinite depth. This means that the electron is confined to a specific region and cannot escape, similar to a particle in a box.

What is the significance of studying the electron in an infinite deep quantum well?

Studying the electron in an infinite deep quantum well allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a confined space and how they interact with each other. This model is also used to explain the properties of materials, such as conductivity and energy levels, which have important applications in technology and materials science.

How does the energy of an electron in an infinite deep quantum well differ from a free electron?

The energy of an electron in an infinite deep quantum well is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. This is in contrast to a free electron, which can have any energy value. In a quantum well, the energy levels are determined by the size of the well and the mass of the particle, while a free electron's energy is determined by its velocity and mass.

What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and how does it relate to the electron in an infinite deep quantum well?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. In the case of an electron in an infinite deep quantum well, the particle is confined to a specific region, so its position is known precisely. However, the uncertainty principle still applies to its momentum, which means that we cannot know its momentum with absolute certainty.