by twofish
Tags: balls, dynamics, falling
Share this thread:
twofish
Nov20-08, 05:06 PM
P: 25
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure what equations to use here, or even wether or not I need to use calc. Unfortunately we just started dynamics and most students don't know how to integrate yet (including me)

v = dx/dt
a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2 = v dv/dx

Uniform rectilinear motion: x = x0 + vt
Uniformly accelerated rectilinear motion:
v = vo + at ; x = xo + vot + 1/2at2; v2 = v2o +2a(x-xo)
where o in all the above = initial.

3. The attempt at a solution
I don't even know where to start with this one. hence my question for help.
We know that a = 9.81m/s2 and also that every .5 second there is a ball dropped.
Do i have to integrate anything?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
naresh
Nov20-08, 05:15 PM
P: 166
As you have stated already, a is a constant (9.81 m/s^2). With uniform acceleration, there is no need to know how to integrate.
twofish
Nov20-08, 09:40 PM
ok. Well I think I have a solution then, but it's not very fancy (I just used techniques from high school physics).
1) I first contemplate ball #1 to find the final velocity and the time it is at 3m.
Vf2=Vi2+2ax
Vf2= 02+2(9.81)(3)
Vf=7.67m/s
Now the time:
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t ; 3m=((7.67+0)/2)t ; t= .78206s

Now I say Ball #2 is dropped .5s after ball #1 and solve for it's final velocity
a=(Vf-Vi)/t ; Vf= 2.767m/s

Now I solve for displacement between ball 1 and 2 according to their respective instantanous(or final) velocities and time being dropped apart from each other.
Where x is displacement.
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t
x= ((7.67+2.767)/2)*0.5
x= 2.6097m

Can someone confirm this is correct methodology and answer?
Thanks,

naresh
Nov20-08, 09:52 PM
P: 166
Dynamics, falling balls.

Quote Quote by twofish View Post
ok. Well I think I have a solution then, but it's not very fancy (I just used techniques from high school physics).
High school physics is all I use everyday

1) I first contemplate ball #1 to find the final velocity and the time it is at 3m.
Vf2=Vi2+2ax
Vf2= 02+2(9.81)(3)
Vf=7.67m/s
Now the time:
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t ; 3m=((7.67+0)/2)t ; t= .78206s
This part is correct. (It was probably easier to use the formula for displacement, x = Vi t + 1/2 a t2.)

Now I say Ball #2 is dropped .5s after ball #1 and solve for it's final velocity
a=(Vf-Vi)/t ; Vf= 2.767m/s

Now I solve for displacement between ball 1 and 2 according to their respective instantanous(or final) velocities and time being dropped apart from each other.
Where x is displacement.
x=( (Vf+Vi)/2)t
x= ((7.67+2.767)/2)*0.5
x= 2.6097m

Can someone confirm this is correct methodology and answer?
Thanks,
I don't quite understand your explanation for this part of your solution, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, the answer is correct! Are you saying that the problem is equivalent to the distance moved by a ball starting with an initial velocity of 2.767m/s in 0.5 sec?

A simpler solution might be to just find what distance ball #2 travels in 0.28206 seconds.
twofish
Nov20-08, 10:13 PM
Actually.. i didn't articulate that very well i suppose. But you're right, if I just solved for the distance ball #2 travelled and deducted that figure from 3m it should tell me the spread between them and hence h (or x).

Register to reply