Find maximum acceleration given the displacement equation

In summary: No, the derivation uses the trig identity form to find the scaling factor that makes the expression equivalent to that scaling factor multiplied by a sine or cosine function. Since the sine or cosine always has a magnitude of 1 (so that it has extremes of +1 and -1), that means the scaling factor itself is the maximum amplitude of your function.The derivation is not difficult and the result is very easy to remember. I'd suggest that you perform the derivation yourself at least once. The end result though is simple enough to commit to memory.
edgarpokemon

Homework Statement

Given:
x=9sin2t +16cos2t+100

The problem asks me for the maximum acceleration and the maximum velocity.

Homework Equations

dx/dt=v
dv/dt=a

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem asks me for the maximum acceleration and the maximum velocity. To find the maximum velocity, i set A equal to 0 and i solve for t. But when i substitute the found t in the acceleration, it does not equal zero as it should. I did got the max velocity right though, but i have no idea how to find the maximum acceleration, i could use mass and Newton laws, but no mass is given. just the x function. is a dynamics question. help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work in detail?

gneill said:
Can you show your work in detail?
x=9sin2t +16cos2t + 100
dx/dt= 18cos2t - 32sin2t = v
dv/dt= -36sin2t - 64cos2t = a

when a=0, v=maximum
-36sin2t - 64cos2t =0
2t=arctan (-64/36)
t= either -1.05 or (pi-1.05), i chose the second one which is 2.08

so at t=2.08, the acceleration should be zero, but it isnt, -36sin (2.08) - 64cos (2.08) does not equal zero, "why not?". at t=2.08, the maximum velocity is reached and that is correct.

edgarpokemon said:
2t=arctan (-64/36)
t= either -1.05 or (pi-1.05), i chose the second one which is 2.08
Shouldn't that be 2t = ...?

Also, you should keep a few extra digits of precision in intermediate values, particularly when dealing with angles. The trig functions can be pretty sensitive to small changes in argument in certain regions of their domains.

gneill said:
Shouldn't that be 2t = ...?

Also, you should keep a few extra digits of precision in intermediate values, particularly when dealing with angles. The trig functions can be pretty sensitive to small changes in argument in certain regions of their domains.
right! thanks!, but how do i calculate the maximum acceleration?

edgarpokemon said:
how do i calculate the maximum acceleration?
Calculate da/dt and then solve for da/dt = 0 (could be a minimum or a maximum).

edgarpokemon said:
right! thanks!, but how do i calculate the maximum acceleration?
You could differentiate again (finding what is called the "jerk") and do what you did for finding the maximum velocity.

Another approach that is a tad more subtle is to note that the expressions for position, velocity, and acceleration all have similar form to the well known angle sum and difference identities. Remember them? One such looks like:

##sin(A - B) = sin(A) cos(B) - cos(A) sin(B)##

If you can find a scaling factor for your function that turns the numerical coefficients of the sin(2t) and cos(2t) into the cos and sin of some angle, then the scaling factor will give you the maximum value.

gneill said:
You could differentiate again (finding what is called the "jerk") and do what you did for finding the maximum velocity.

Another approach that is a tad more subtle is to note that the expressions for position, velocity, and acceleration all have similar form to the well known angle sum and difference identities. Remember them? One such looks like:

If you can find a scaling factor for your function that turns the numerical coefficients of the sin(2t) and cos(2t) into the cos and sin of some angle, then the scaling factor will give you the maximum value.

aaa thank you so much! i like the jerk option better lol

rcgldr said:
Calculate da/dt and then solve for da/dt = 0 (could be a minimum or a maximum).
thanks!

gneill said:

for the second option, i guess you would have to use linear algebra and find an eigenvalue correct?

edgarpokemon said:
for the second option, i guess you would have to use linear algebra and find an eigenvalue correct?
No, the derivation uses the trig identity form to find the scaling factor that makes the expression equivalent to that scaling factor multiplied by a sine or cosine function. Since the sine or cosine always has a magnitude of 1 (so that it has extremes of +1 and -1), that means the scaling factor itself is the maximum amplitude of your function.

The derivation is not difficult and the result is very easy to remember. I'd suggest that you perform the derivation yourself at least once. The end result though is simple enough to commit to memory. Given a function that's the sum of a sine and cosine term:

##f(θ) = a~sin(θ) \pm b~cos(θ)##

the amplitude (or maximum value) of the function is simply ##\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}##.

gneill said:
No, the derivation uses the trig identity form to find the scaling factor that makes the expression equivalent to that scaling factor multiplied by a sine or cosine function. Since the sine or cosine always has a magnitude of 1 (so that it has extremes of +1 and -1), that means the scaling factor itself is the maximum amplitude of your function.

The derivation is not difficult and the result is very easy to remember. I'd suggest that you perform the derivation yourself at least once. The end result though is simple enough to commit to memory. Given a function that's the sum of a sine and cosine term:

##f(θ) = a~sin(θ) \pm b~cos(θ)##

the amplitude (or maximum value) of the function is simply ##\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}##.
thank you! i really really appreciate it, i like knowing other ways to solve a problem, thank you!

What is the displacement equation?

The displacement equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the change in position of an object over a certain period of time.

How is maximum acceleration related to the displacement equation?

Maximum acceleration can be calculated by taking the second derivative of the displacement equation with respect to time. This means finding the rate of change of the velocity, which is the first derivative of the displacement equation.

Can the displacement equation be used for all types of motion?

Yes, the displacement equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. It can also be used for non-uniform motion, but in that case, the acceleration must be found using other equations or methods.

What are the units of the displacement equation?

The units of the displacement equation depend on the units of the variables used. However, in most cases, the displacement is measured in meters (m), time is measured in seconds (s) and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How can the displacement equation be used to find the maximum acceleration?

To find the maximum acceleration using the displacement equation, you can take the second derivative of the equation with respect to time. Then, set the resulting equation equal to zero and solve for the acceleration. This will give you the maximum acceleration at that specific time.