Electron transfer in Redox equation

by ally1h
Tags: electron, equation, redox, transfer
Share this thread:
ally1h
Dec4-08, 10:22 AM
P: 61
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
How many electrons are transferred in the following reaction?
6 Br^- (aq) + Cr2O7^2- (aq) + 14 H^+ --> 2Cr^3+ (aq) + 7H2O + 3Br2 (l)

a) 1
b) 2
c) 3
d) 6
e) 14

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Redox reactions really confuse me, but I gave it a shot. I took a look at the number of electrons on each side of the equation and found the following:
Left side:
6Br^- = -6
Cr2O7^2- = -2
14 H^+ = +14
Total: +6

Right side:
2Cr^3+ = +6
7H2O = 0
3 Br2 = 0
Total: 6

But this is as far as I can get. Somehow I don't think the answer is D) 6, but I really don't know. Someone please help me understand this problem?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
symbolipoint
Dec4-08, 10:52 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,796
Easily concentrate your attention to just one half-reaction, assuming the reaction as written is balanced; that being for the bromide. How many electron difference is it from 2 bromides to one bromine(compound, not the separate atoms)? Now, how many electrons change is this for the same half-reaction as represented in the fully written reaction (in which you start with 6 bromides instead of just 2 bromides)?
symbolipoint
Dec4-08, 10:54 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
In other words, from post #2, your best choice would seem to be D. (6 electrons)

ally1h
Dec4-08, 11:01 AM
Electron transfer in Redox equation

Okay, so D it is. If I understand correctly then in the half-reaction for bromide... there is 1 electron difference between 2 bromides to 1 bromine. As a whole reaction, there are 6 bromides... so 6 electrons.

What about the other half-reaction, though?
Cr2O7^2- + 14H^+ --> 2Cr^3+ +7H2O

I suppose it is the dichromate ion that confuses me.
symbolipoint
Dec4-08, 11:22 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
If you know your reaction as written is balanced, then you know that the chromate part of the reaction is also for 6 electrons.

Look at dicrhromate anion. Account for all the charges which give the -2 charge for this anion. Two chromiums, seven oxygens, the sum of the charges must be -2. You want to find the charge on the chromium. You know: 1 oxygen is -2, dichromate anion charge is -2. You do not yet know the charge on 1 chromium in the dichromate anion. This is what you want to find (using simple algebra).
ally1h
Dec4-08, 11:26 AM
Ahhh... I see. Thank you for your help. I understand now. :) Redox reactions make my head spin.

Register to reply