Calculate the potential at the equivalence point

In summary: Therefore, we can calculate the concentration of I^{-} using the given concentration of H+:##(I^{-})^{2} = 6*10^{-4}M####I^{-} = \sqrt{6*10^{-4}} = 0.0245 M##Finally, using this value in the Nernst equation, we can calculate the equilibrium potential at the equivalence point:##E_{eq} = 536mV - \frac{RT}{2F}ln(0.0245) = 498mV##In summary, the equilibrium potential at the equivalence point for the given reactions is 498mV. This value is lower than the standard potential for the reactions, indicating that the
il postino
Homework Statement
A KI solution is titrated using a K2Cr2O7 standard at a pH of 4. Calculate the potential at the equivalence point
Relevant Equations
Nernst equation
Data
##E^{0}_{I_2/I-}= 536mV##
##E^{0}_{Cr_2O_7^{2-}/Cr^{3+}}= 1330mV##

##I_{2} + 2e- \Leftrightarrow 2I^{-}##
##Cr_2O_7^{2-} + 14H^+ + 6e^- \Leftrightarrow 2Cr^{3+} + 7H_2O##

Total Reaction

##6I^{-} + Cr_2O_7^{2-} + 14H^+ \Leftrightarrow 3I_{2} + 2Cr^{3+} + 7H_2O##

##(E_{eq}=536-\frac{59.2}{2}log(I^{-})^{2})*2##
##(E_{eq}=1330-\frac{59.2}{6}log(\frac{(Cr^{3+})^{2}}{(Cr_2O_7^{2-})(H^+)^{14}})*6##

Thus,

##(8*E_{eq}=9052-59.2log(\frac{(I^{-})^{2}(Cr^{3+})^{2}}{(Cr_2O_7^{2-})(H^+)^{14}}##

I know the concentration of H+ es ##1.10^{-4}M##

According to the reaction, at the equivalence point:

##(I^{-})^{2}=6*(Cr_2O_7^{2-})##

But replacement in expression I can't cancel.
The expression is based on ##(Cr_2O_7^{2-})##

I don't know how to continue.
Can you help me?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

First of all, I would like to commend you on your thorough analysis and calculation of the equilibrium potential for the two reactions. Your approach is correct and you have a good understanding of the principles involved.

To continue, we need to use the Nernst equation, which relates the equilibrium potential to the concentrations of the reactants and products. It is given by:

##E_{eq} = E^{0} - \frac{RT}{nF}ln(Q)##

Where E_{eq} is the equilibrium potential, E^{0} is the standard potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, n is the number of electrons transferred in the reaction, F is Faraday's constant, and Q is the reaction quotient.

In your case, n = 2 for the first reaction and n = 6 for the second reaction. Therefore, using the values given in the forum post, we can write the following equations:

##E_{eq,1} = 536mV - \frac{RT}{2F}ln(I^{-})##
##E_{eq,2} = 1330mV - \frac{RT}{6F}ln(\frac{(Cr^{3+})^{2}}{(Cr_2O_7^{2-})(H^+)^{14}})##

At the equivalence point, we know that the concentrations of I^{-} and (Cr_2O_7^{2-}) are equal, as you have correctly stated. Therefore, we can write the following:

##E_{eq,1} = E_{eq,2}##
##536mV - \frac{RT}{2F}ln(I^{-}) = 1330mV - \frac{RT}{6F}ln(\frac{(Cr^{3+})^{2}}{(I^{-})^{2}(H^+)^{14}})##

Simplifying this equation, we get:

##ln(I^{-}) = \frac{3}{4}ln(\frac{(Cr^{3+})^{2}}{(H^+)^{14}}) - \frac{794}{RT}##

Now, we can use the given concentration of H+ to calculate the concentration of I^{-} at the equivalence point. From the reaction equation, we know that the concentration of I^{-} is equal to the concentration of (Cr_2O_7^{2-

What is the equivalence point?

The equivalence point is the point in a titration where the amount of titrant added is equal to the amount of analyte present. At this point, the reaction is complete and the solution is neutral.

How is the potential at the equivalence point calculated?

The potential at the equivalence point is calculated by using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the reactants and products in the solution.

What is the significance of calculating the potential at the equivalence point?

Calculating the potential at the equivalence point allows for the determination of the endpoint of a titration, which is important in accurately determining the concentration of a solution or the identity of an unknown substance.

Can the potential at the equivalence point be negative?

Yes, the potential at the equivalence point can be negative if the analyte is an oxidizing agent and the titrant is a reducing agent. This indicates a reduction reaction has occurred at the equivalence point.

How does the potential at the equivalence point differ from the endpoint potential?

The potential at the equivalence point is the theoretical point at which the reaction is complete, while the endpoint potential is the actual point at which the indicator changes color. The two may not always be the same, but they are typically close in value.