Capacitance and Resistance of a fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resistance between the plates of a parallel plate air-spaced capacitor immersed in a fluid of resistivity 10 Ωm. The capacitance is given as 100pF and the equations used include C = ε0A/d and R = ρl/A. The final calculated value for resistance is 0.885 Ohms.
TFM

Homework Statement

A parallel plate air-spaced capacitor has a capacitance of 100pF. It is immersed in a fluid of resistivity 10 m. Calculate the resistance between the plates.

Homework Equations

[tex] C = \frac{\epsilon_0A}{d} [/tex]

[tex] R = \frac{\rho l}{A} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I seemed to get this question too easily...

First of all, I said that for the fluid, the area is the area of the pates, and l is the distance d between them, then I rearranged the resistivity equation into terms of a/d:

[tex] \frac{A}{d} = \frac{\rho}{R} [/tex]

then I substituted this equation into the capacitance equation:

[tex] C = \epsilon_0\frac{\rho}{R} [/tex]

rearrange for R:

[tex] R = \epsilon_0 \frac{\rho}{C} [/tex]

Insert values:

[tex] R = \epsilon_0 \frac{10}{100*10^{-6}} [/tex]

this gives a value of [tex] 8.85 * 10^{-7} [/tex] Ohms

Does this look correct?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there. What does the "p" in pF mean? Hint: it's not 10-6.

pF is a pico Farad, I believe

Iyt is 10^-12, not -6, that was illy of me - I should have remebered that 10^-6 is micro:redface:

TFM

Putting in my new value for C, I get the resistance to be:

0.885 Ohms

Does this look right now?

TFM

Excellent

Thanks for your Assistance, Redbelly98, Most Appreciated :smile:

TFM

What is capacitance and resistance of a fluid?

Capacitance and resistance of a fluid refer to the ability of a fluid to store and conduct electrical charge, respectively. This is important in various applications such as in electronic circuits and in the measurement of fluid levels.

How is capacitance and resistance of a fluid measured?

The capacitance of a fluid can be measured using a capacitive sensor, which consists of two conductive plates separated by the fluid. The resistance of a fluid can be measured using a resistive sensor, which measures the electrical resistance of the fluid as it flows through a channel.

What factors affect the capacitance and resistance of a fluid?

The capacitance of a fluid is affected by the dielectric constant of the fluid, the distance between the plates, and the surface area of the plates. The resistance of a fluid is affected by the electrical conductivity of the fluid, the length and cross-sectional area of the channel, and the temperature of the fluid.

What are some real-world applications of capacitance and resistance of a fluid?

Capacitance and resistance of a fluid are commonly used in the measurement of fluid levels in tanks, pipes, and other containers. They are also used in the design of electronic circuits, such as in touch screens and liquid level sensors.

Are there any limitations to using capacitance and resistance to measure fluids?

Yes, there are some limitations to using capacitance and resistance to measure fluids. For example, they may be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, the type of fluid being measured can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.