Air resistance in relation to ballistics

In summary, a discussion on another board about the flight time of a bullet led to a question about taking wind resistance into account in kinematics. Using the drag equation, it was found that the drag needed to explain a 5.5 second flight time for a 0.50 caliber sniper rifle was unrealistically high. It was also noted that bullets from most rifles travel at supersonic speeds, making the math to calculate drag very complex.
My Porsche
Having this discussion on another board, basically stemmed from one member saying that a bullet would be in flight for "over 5 seconds"in response to something else someone said about a 0.50 caliber sniper rifle firing at a target 2 miles away.

I figured that negating air resistance, the time would be 3.857 seconds (using Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad then putting finding average velocity (Vf + Vi)/2 and substituting that into v = d/t) "d" is two miles, or 10,560 feet, "Vi" is 2,800 feet per second, and "a" is -32.15 feet per second.

So assuming that was right, I found that for the time to be "over 5 seconds" (I used 5.5), the final velocity would have to be 1,040 feet per second (using v = d/t, solving for v as average velocity, multiplying Va by two and subtracting initial velocity to find the new Vf) is that correct?

Anyway, none of that really matters, just background, my question is, how do you take wind resistance into account in kinematics, and how high would the wind speed have to be to cause a 63% loss of velocity? I'd preferably like to do this without calculus.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wind isn't needed to slow the bullet - just it's motion through the air is enough.
The force on an object moving through air (at height speed)
F = 1/2 [tex]\rho[/tex] v 2 A C d

[tex]\rho[/tex] is the density of air
v is the velocity
A is the cross section area
C d depends on the shape, for a bullet it's around 0.3

Mythbusters did a "can a falling bullet kill you" episode where they found the terminal velocity of a bullet to be around 100fps. You can plug that into the drag equation to find the drag coefficient (the bullet tumbled in their demo, but at least that gives you an upper bound). I think you'll find that the drag needed to explain the 5.5 second flight time is absurdly high.

Bullets from most rifles travel at super sonic speeds. At these speeds, the math to calculate the drag is so complex that tables of coefficients are required to do the ballistics calculations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

In the case of 50 caliber sniper rifles, the muzzle velocity is very high, enough that the bullet will still be well above supersonic at impact to improve the accuracy.

russ_watters said:
Mythbusters did a "can a falling bullet kill you" episode where they found the terminal velocity of a bullet to be around 100fps.
Must have been a very small caliber weapon. Hunters sometimes get pelted by tiny birdshot falling from above without much harm, but people have died from falling bullets. I'm pretty sure that a 50 cailiber bullet would have a much higher terminal velocity than 100fps.

Last edited:

What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the air molecules colliding with the object as it moves.

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a bullet?

Air resistance affects the trajectory of a bullet by slowing it down and causing it to drop more quickly. As the bullet moves through the air, it experiences drag, which reduces its velocity and alters its trajectory.

What factors affect the amount of air resistance on a bullet?

The amount of air resistance on a bullet is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the bullet, the speed at which it is traveling, and the density of the air.

How does air resistance impact the accuracy of a bullet?

Air resistance can impact the accuracy of a bullet by causing it to deviate from its intended trajectory. The amount of air resistance can vary depending on environmental conditions, making it difficult to predict the exact path of the bullet.

What techniques are used to minimize the effects of air resistance in ballistics?

To minimize the effects of air resistance in ballistics, techniques such as using streamlined bullet shapes, increasing the velocity of the bullet, and adjusting the angle of the shot are commonly employed. Additionally, advanced computer simulations can help predict the effects of air resistance on a bullet's trajectory.