Coordinate transformations Spherical to Cartesian

by gaganaut
Tags: coordinate transfom, matrix, solids, spherical
gaganaut
Jan6-09, 09:50 AM
P: 20
Hi,
I would like to transform a vector from Spherical to cartesian coordinate system. But the question is probably not that straight forward. :(

I have a vector say [tex]E = E_r~\hat{r}+E_{\theta}~\hat{\theta}+E_{\phi}~\hat{\phi}[/tex].

But I know only the cartesian coordinate from where it starts, say [tex](x,y,z)[/tex] and I do not know where it ends. So I am unable to find angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] for computing the transformation matrix [tex]R[/tex] that transforms the vector [tex]E[/tex] to cartesian system. This [tex]R[/tex] is the usual matrix with sines and cosines of [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] and can be seen here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_...al_coordinates

So how do I go about it. Is there even a way to do this. Once again this is not a homework question and is for a small project that I am doing. There aren't any homeworks at this time of the year. :)

Appreciate any form of help.

Kedar
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
CompuChip
Jan6-09, 09:55 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,301
What do you mean, you don't know where it ends?
Isn't the (r, theta, phi) system relative to (x, y, z)?
gaganaut
Jan6-09, 10:03 AM
Quote Quote by CompuChip View Post
What do you mean, you don't know where it ends?
Isn't the (r, theta, phi) system relative to (x, y, z)?
May be I am missing something very simple here. But I do not know the [tex](r,~\theta,~\phi)[/tex] as well. I did try to do it that way though to start with.

All I know is the magnitudes in the [tex]\hat{r},~\hat{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex] directions and the starting point. And nothing else.

Can the [tex](r,~\theta,~\phi)[/tex] be found out from the magnitudes in the [tex]\hat{r},~\hat{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex] ([tex]E_r,~E_{\theta},~E_{\phi}[/tex] as above)?

It can be really simple. But I cannot just think about it right.

CompuChip
Jan6-09, 01:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper

Coordinate transformations Spherical to Cartesian

Yes, you might be missing something or I might.
But aren't the coordinate values simply the coefficients of the unit vectors?
Like, in a Cartesian system you can write either (3, 0, -2) for the coordinates of a point, or you can describe it by a vector [itex]3 \hat x + 0 \hat y - 2 \hat z[/itex].
When writing down a tuplet of numbers like (3, 0, -2), we are implicitly assuming that we have these three basis vectors [itex]\hat x, \hat y, \hat z[/itex] and we are using them to fix our point.
gaganaut
Jan6-09, 04:39 PM
Quote Quote by CompuChip View Post
Yes, you might be missing something or I might.
But aren't the coordinate values simply the coefficients of the unit vectors?
Like, in a Cartesian system you can write either (3, 0, -2) for the coordinates of a point, or you can describe it by a vector [itex]3 \hat x + 0 \hat y - 2 \hat z[/itex].
When writing down a tuplet of numbers like (3, 0, -2), we are implicitly assuming that we have these three basis vectors [itex]\hat x, \hat y, \hat z[/itex] and we are using them to fix our point.
Thanks Compuchip. I got your point. So stupid of me. The (x,y,z) can be used to find theta, phi. My bad.
CompuChip
Jan7-09, 03:21 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
You're welcome. We all get confused sometimes.

Register to reply