Computer Architecture related questions

In summary, you have three questions that won't be graded, but that your professor wants you to look into/review. You've figured out two of the questions, but the following have given you some issues. Any help would be appreciated.
atlbraves49
I have a set of questions that won't be graded, but that my prof. wants us to look into/review. I've figured most of them out but the following have given me some issues. Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind getting the answers but a brief explanation would be best. Thanks!

1) The AVR RISC architecture is an 8bit architec. but has a 16bit fixed length instruction word. If the latter is transferred to the Instruction Register via a CPU internal bus, how many program memory accesses are necessary to retrieve a full instruction word?
(3, 4, 1, or 2)

2) If I/O peripheral devices are memory mapped, this means that:
a) I/O is performed using the same instruction as for reading or writing to the data memory
b) The instruction set implements two special instructions: IN and OUT.
c) I/O peripherals cannot be memory mapped because the architecture is Harvard
d) Peripherals have addresses in the program memory space

3) The architecture has a build in stack pointer. If one needs Two stacks, the second one could be implemented:
a) using one of the registers in the Data-Bank to point to the TOS of the second stack.
b) using the same stack pointer for both stacks
c)the second stack cannot be implemented
d) Using the program counter to point to the TOS of the second stack

4) If an architecture lacks an integer-multiply instruction, this could be implemented using a sequence of:
a) Shift and subtract
b) Shift and add
c) shift and rotate
d) increment and accumulate instructions

Physics news on Phys.org
give us the answers you think are correct and why and we will critique them...

thats the thing, I am comfortable with the rest of the questions but these have me completely lost. I am not sure which are correct, that's why I am looking for some direction.

The only one i think i might know is #4.. i would say b) shift and add because that seems like a typical way to multiply in architecture if you don't have a multiply function.

still need help with these

You should review your course notes and/or read the textbook. In lieu of that, some guiding pointers (hardy har har):

1) HINT: How wide is your data bus? If you did have to do multiple transfers, would you need to transfer anything on the data bus in between transfers? What's the influence on the address bus?

2) Memory-mapped I/O:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory-mapped_I/O

3) Stack structure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(data_structure)#Basic_architecture_of_a_stack

4) What happens to a binary number when you multiply by 2? 2^2=4? 2^3=8? How would you break down a number into powers of 2? Is this easier in binary?

1. What is computer architecture?

Computer architecture refers to the design and organization of the components that make up a computer system. This includes the hardware components such as the processor, memory, and input/output devices, as well as the software that controls and manages these components.

2. What is the difference between von Neumann and Harvard architecture?

Von Neumann architecture is a type of computer architecture where the processor and memory share the same bus for both instructions and data. Harvard architecture, on the other hand, uses separate buses for instructions and data. This allows for faster data transfer and can improve overall performance.

3. What is the role of the CPU in computer architecture?

The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is considered the "brain" of the computer and is responsible for executing instructions and controlling the flow of data within the computer. It performs arithmetic and logical operations, and coordinates the activities of other components in the computer system.

4. What is the difference between RISC and CISC architectures?

RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) and CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computer) are two different types of instruction set architectures. RISC processors use a smaller set of simple instructions, while CISC processors use a larger set of more complex instructions. RISC architectures tend to be more efficient and faster, while CISC architectures are more versatile and can handle more complex tasks.

5. How does computer architecture impact computer performance?

Computer architecture plays a crucial role in determining the overall performance of a computer system. A well-designed architecture can improve efficiency, speed, and reliability, while a poorly designed architecture can result in slower performance and potential bottlenecks. Factors such as processor speed, memory size, and bus speeds all contribute to the overall performance of a computer system.