The Four Stages of Migraine

by zoobyshoe
Tags: migraine, stages
zoobyshoe
Apr7-09, 10:12 PM
P: 5,616
When many people think "migraine" they think only of the pain of migraine. In reality, a migraine episode consists of far more. The typical migraine episode actually consists of four parts, referred to as phases or components. It's important to note that not every migraineur experiences all four phases. Also, episodes can vary with different phases experienced during different episodes. The four phases of a migraine episode are:

* Prodrome
* Aura
* Headache
* Postdrome
http://headaches.about.com/cs/headpa...natomy_mig.htm

Here's an interesting thing to note:

As noted earlier, not all migraine episodes include all phases. Although not the majority of episodes, there are some migraine episodes in which migraineurs experience aura but no headache. There are several terms used for this experience, including "silent migraine," "sans-migraine," and "migraine equivalent."
So, interestingly enough, having a migraine attack does not necessarily mean having a headache.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Pregnancy complications may be more common in immigrants from certain regions
Use of frozen material for fecal transplant successfully treats C. difficile infection
Death rates from pancreatic cancer predicted to rise in Europe in 2014
lisab
Apr7-09, 10:50 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Interesting, zooby. I never knew us migraine sufferers were refered to as "migraineurs" lol .

There was a time in my life when I was crippled by migraines. A non-sufferer wouldn't undersand how they interrupt normal life.

But once I got my allergies under control, the headaches basically went away. Yet all those years I never had the classic allergy symptoms, i.e., nasal congestion, sneezing, etc.
waht
Apr7-09, 10:57 PM
P: 1,636
I have spring allergies, with nasal congestions and the whole nine yards, plus once in a while I will get that migraine too, but only during allergy season. I read about the aura before but never actually experienced it though, it's pretty scary.

zoobyshoe
Apr7-09, 10:59 PM

The Four Stages of Migraine

Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Interesting, zooby. I never knew us migraine sufferers were refered to as "migraineurs" lol .
Leave it to the French!

There was a time in my life when I was crippled by migraines. A non-sufferer wouldn't undersand how they interrupt normal life.

But once I got my allergies under control, the headaches basically went away. Yet all those years I never had the classic allergy symptoms, i.e., nasal congestion, sneezing, etc.
Did you experience the four stages?
berkeman
Apr7-09, 11:10 PM
Mentor
P: 39,716
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Interesting. I'd heard about the connection for some migrane sufferers between menstrual cycle and migranes, but hadn't heard about the allergy connection. Is it common?
zoobyshoe
Apr7-09, 11:19 PM
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
Interesting. I'd heard about the connection for some migrane sufferers between menstrual cycle and migranes, but hadn't heard about the allergy connection. Is it common?
I can't find anything in the way of a hard science paper about this. Only this sort of thing:

http://health.families.com/blog/alle...graines-linked

Allergies are not mentioned as prime suspects in discussions of Migraine cause. More often you read it being laid to genetic disposition.
waht
Apr7-09, 11:30 PM
I had one allergy doctor tell me my headaches are not related, while another doc said definitely. Now as I take allergy shots, migraines are triggered more often.
zoobyshoe
Apr7-09, 11:45 PM
Quote Quote by waht View Post
I had one allergy doctor tell my headaches are not related, while another doc said definitely. Now as I take allergy shots, migraines are triggered more often.
What were your allergy symptoms?
waht
Apr7-09, 11:50 PM
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
What were your allergy symptoms?
Sneezing, running nose, watery itchy eyes, and congestion.
zoobyshoe
Apr7-09, 11:53 PM
Sneezing, running nose, watery itchy eyes, and congestion.
And the allergy shots trigger severe headaches? What's in the allergy shots?
waht
Apr8-09, 12:12 AM
And the allergy shots trigger severe headaches?
I used get migraines and nausea without the shots only during the allergy season. But with the shots it can occur any time during a year, but with less frequency as in the allergy season.

What's in the allergy shots?
I have custom prepared allergen doses, which are the actual things that the immune system responds to, and there is a plethora of those. If it works, it should reduce sensitivity of the immune system to these allergens.
zoobyshoe
Apr8-09, 12:45 AM
I have custom prepared allergen doses, which are the actual things that the immune system responds to, and there is a plethora of those. If it works, it should reduce sensitivity of the immune system to these allergens.
So, you're essentially triggering the allergic response, which supports the alleged link between the allergy and the headaches, right?
somasimple
Apr8-09, 02:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 716
The four phases of a migraine episode are:

* Prodrome
* Aura
* Headache
* Postdrome
The most interesting thing in the sequence is that migraineurs are aware of the sequence itself.
If you know the images of a movie you may change the end and/or play it, actively.
It just means that you have some control on it: principally, headhaches which is the painful state.
Andy Resnick
Apr8-09, 07:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
I had spring allergies while in graduate school (Tennessee Valley region), and would get regular migraines during allergy season. When I left the area, the allergies subsided, and so did the migraines.

Feeling the 'aura'- and there's no question what that feels like- was never a good day.
zoobyshoe
Apr8-09, 09:15 AM
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
I had spring allergies while in graduate school (Tennessee Valley region), and would get regular migraines during allergy season. When I left the area, the allergies subsided, and so did the migraines.

Feeling the 'aura'- and there's no question what that feels like- was never a good day.
Of what did your aura consist?
ViewsofMars
Apr8-09, 09:20 AM
P: 463
I'd get a nasty cold every year around Christmas until I realized it was an allergy reaction to the decorated pine tree in my home.

I've had one migraine in my lifetime which occured when I was twelve years old. That was a mighty long, long time ago.

Some scientists believe that people who get migraines have inherited a tendency for their nervous systems to react differently to changes in their bodies or their environment. Certain things may trigger a reaction in the person's nervous system and start a migraine attack.

Some common triggers are:

stress
menstruation (having a period)
skipping meals
too much caffeine (like cola drinks)
certain foods (cheese, pizza, chocolate, ice cream, fatty or fried food, lunch meats, hot dogs, yogurt, or anything with MSG, a seasoning often used in Asian foods)
too much or too little sleep
weather changes
travel

No one is really sure why people get migraines. But chances are, if you get migraines, another member of your family gets them as well. That's because scientists think migraines are genetic, which means that certain genes passed on from parents make a kid more likely to get them.
http://kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure...igraines.html#
waht
Apr8-09, 09:22 AM
So, you're essentially triggering the allergic response, which supports the alleged link between the allergy and the headaches, right?
That seems to be the case. When I started this immunotherapy before spring, got a migraine three to four days after the first shot, and so for the first three weeks at same time intervals. And the shots were administered every week as well. Then later on I've been getting less migraines, and they happen very erratically.
zoobyshoe
Apr8-09, 10:01 AM
Quote Quote by ViewsofMars View Post
I've had one migraine in my lifetime which occured when I was twelve years old.
Only once? Why do you think it was a migraine?

The basic problem may well stem from not communicating this one basic fact: A migraine is not a headache. Yes, you read that correctly. A Migraine is not a headache.

Whether you call it "Migraine,' "Migraine Disease," or "Migraine Disorder," Migraine is actually a recurrent, episodic, genetic, neurological disease. What does that mean? It means that Migraineurs have a genuine neurological disease -- all the time.

When Migraineurs have a Migraine episode or attack, the headache is just one symptom of the episode. It is not the actual episode. The point is, the term "Migraine headache" is not only incorrect, it's misleading, and may be a source of the misunderstanding of Migraine. As Migraineurs, we don't experience "Migraine headaches;" we experience "Migraine episodes" or "Migraine attacks."
http://headaches.about.com/cs/educat...mig_not_ha.htm

Register to reply