A safe held by a string breaks and lands on a spring

by talaroue
Tags: breaks, lands, safe, spring, string
Share this thread:
talaroue
May26-09, 05:39 PM
P: 303
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A 1209 kg safe is 1.54 m above a heavy-duty spring when the rope holding the safe breaks. Thr safe hits the spring and compress it 53 cm. What is he spring constant of the spring?

2. Relevant equations
K=mV^2/2
U=mgh
Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought I understood momentuem and energy but not anymore. Here is what I did....

Ui=mgh= 2*9.8*1.54
Kf=mV^2/2

Then solved for V and got 5.494 m/s

Then used that velocity for the spring constant by using......

U=k(delta x)^2/2
K=mV^2/2

then solved for k and got 129912 N/m...... but that is coming up wrong what am i doing wrong.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
talaroue
May26-09, 06:28 PM
any ideas?
PhanthomJay
May26-09, 06:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,040
Well for one thing you are using m = 2 kg when it is given that m = 1209 kg. Then you neglect the gravitational potential energy in the 2nd set of equations. It is better to do this all in one step: Initial energy = Final energy, where v_initial = v_final = 0.

tiny-tim
May26-09, 06:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
A safe held by a string breaks and lands on a spring

Hi talaroue!

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box )
Quote Quote by talaroue View Post
A 1209 kg safe is 1.54 m above a heavy-duty spring when the rope holding the safe breaks. Thr safe hits the spring and compress it 53 cm.

Ui=mgh= 2*9.8*1.54
No, the safe stops moving 53cm lower.
talaroue
May26-09, 06:36 PM
JAY:

so your saying that i should just use U=mgh and U=k(delta x)^2/2....solve for k and get....

k=2mgh/delta x^2

TINY TIM:

so I didn't go about the problem wrong I just have to add the .53 m to the hieght?
Astronuc
May26-09, 06:42 PM
Admin
P: 21,875
The safe starts 1.54 m (154 cm) above the spring and then travels another 0.53 m after contact. That must be considered with respect to gravitational potential energy.
PhanthomJay
May26-09, 06:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,040
Quote Quote by talaroue View Post
JAMES:

so your saying that i should just use U=mgh and U=k(delta x)^2/2....solve for k and get....

k=2mgh/delta x^2
Yes, but 'h' is as noted by others, and don't forget to correct your value of 'm'.
talaroue
May26-09, 06:47 PM
ahhh I see at least I had the right idea just need to be more careful. If you guys don't mind I am having problems with another problem as well.... it might be a same problem i am going to go back and look at it but I made a thread about it as well....

Second problem I have issues with
talaroue
May26-09, 06:50 PM
Quote Quote by PhanthomJay View Post
Yes, but 'h' is as noted by others, and don't forget to correct your value of 'm'.
I wasn't using 2 as my m, that was just noting the second equation is U=k(delta x^2)/2 I didn't combined them when i posted that, i see what you are saying though.

Register to reply